|By Hovhannes Avoyan||
|March 6, 2012 07:00 AM EST||
A content management system (CMS) is a system facilitating efficient production of desired output by using managed content. The content may be text, images, graphics, documents, sound, video or other that can be managed in an electronic format. It is a software application used in uploading, editing and managing content on a website. CMS has been gaining popularity as it handles various tasks including when to display content, how many times to display content to specific users and how the content interacts with other elements of the website. Open source CMS systems are popular for their quality, lower cost, reliability and flexibility.
This article is the first in a series that lists the advantages and disadvantages of the 18 most popular open source Content Management Systems. The first five are WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, Magento, and b2evolution.
WordPress is a publishing platform focused on aesthetics, web standards, and usability. Working with WordPress does not require any knowledge of HTML. Ease of installation and upgrading make it a great fit for beginner webmasters and even for non-developers.
Using WordPress has these advantages to users:
- The CMS tool has blogging options such as Posts, comments, media, links, simple pages, users etc.
- Customization of the look of a website or addition of an extra feature is possible
- Multilingual support: Although it lacks out of the box support for bilingual or multilingual blogs, plugins developed by the WordPress community permit creation of a multilingual blog
- Many plugins are released by independent developers that enhance the user interface
- Creation of new content is very easy with the visual text editor
- Security from hackers is comparatively high for many community developers
- Limitations for bigger and more complicated sites
- Better suited for blogs than general websites
- Changing navigational structure requires knowledge of WP scripting language and CSS
- Below average SEO friendly: SEO provided by WordPress is below average but can be improved with installation of a useful plugin
- Attracts spambot
Joomla is a much appreciated portal- or community type site CMS tool for simple websites and blogs. It comes with an easy to use graphical administrative interface and powerful WYSIWYG Editor that enables the creation and editing of pages. With Joomla, there is no need to use specialized tools or programming languages to update the sites. It has a large user base with a lively community where tips and tricks are shared.
Advantages of using Joomla as CMS tool are as follows:
- Good choice for creating a community or network with a membership area, newsroom, forums, articles, input from external authors
- Simple installation: takes a few minutes
- In the most recent version of Joomla, a more complex navigation pattern is available that can support more than two-level hierarchies
- A lot of functionality is built into Joomla hence it requires fewer plugins than WordPress
- Easy to create a navigation structure: no need to have knowledge of Joomla scripting while changing the navigation structure and menus of the site
- No knowledge of HTML is required
- Multilingual Support: An extra module called Joomfish is required to facilitate multilingual support
- Allows users to set article expiration dates, activation dates, author names, etc.
- Has many development tools and tutorials to help users
- Offers users a large community where advice, tips and tricks can be shared
Disadvantages of using Joomla:
- Lacks advanced technologies hence not suitable for advanced web designers
- Less security: Every site has its own login details making the work easier but leaving the site less secured
- Less friendly to Search engine optimization
- Certain plug-ins cost money which are available for free in WordPress
Drupal is a free source PHP based CMS tool that allows an individual or a community of users to easily publish, manage and organize content on a website. Requiring complete control over scripting of sophisticated website design, Drupal is not very user friendly, but can be worked on only by professional web developers. Installation of Drupal is easy and straight forward for anyone familiar with installing applications on web servers. For web developers new to Drupal, it is a steep learning curve. It requires knowledge of a sophisticated programming language.
Drupal has gained popularity over other CMS for the following advantages:
- Flexible yet robust content creation: There is flexibility in creating and managing different content types such as text, blogs, video, polls etc.
- Using Drupal CMS, one can customize the URL path for each piece of content published on a website
- Creation of own dynamic designs for pages of your own website
- Drupal is the ideal platform for developing large websites with hundreds of pages
- Highly scalable
- Drupal is proven and secured
- Multilingual Support: It requires only to activate a core module named Locale to enjoy multilingual support
- SEO friendly: Drupal CMS software is ideal for search engine optimization
- It has very strong community support
- Large support base
Disadvantages of Drupal include following:
- Not very user friendly and requires greater technical knowledge
- Needs MySQL and Php language support
- Customization of Drupal requires an expert user and developer
Magento is an open source ecommerce platform designed for customizing, managing and running an online portal.
Advantages of Magento include:
- Well defined with core code and third party or community code allowing users to download other extensions or modules without worrying about the impact of future upgrades and or disrupting the current appearance of the website
- SEO friendliness: Magento achieves high ranking on search engines Google and Bing
- Large community of users: A community of users, developers and service providers are available to share their advice, tips and tricks
- PHP written Magento is a feature rich ecommerce platform. It has all the features of a top of the line Ecommerce website such as advanced promotion and marketing tools.
- Easy integration of additional layouts and Add-ons
- Provides ability to manage multi stores from single Administration panel
- Nice default template
- The CMS software is a complicated platform and follows best web programming practices
- There are very few expert Magento developers available
- Heavily layered and overly complicated coding style and large number of files required to learn and do customization
B2Evolution is an open source blogging system distributed under the GNU General Public License, making it free to use and modify. A large number of plug-ins have been developed for the CMS including extensions allowing incorporation of third-party text editors. In addition, it also permits integration of functionality provided by popular websites including MySpace, YouTube, Digg etc. It is featured with friendly URLs, image resizing, photoblogs with thumbnails, UI levels, a WYSIWYG editor, spell check and style wizard. It is a multilingual, multi user, multi blog publishing CMS.
Advantages of b2Evolution:
- Fast and easy installation of the software: can be installed on virtually any server configuration consisting of PHP and MySQL
- Spam protection: Featured with blacklisting and CAPTCHA to prevent comments from automated bot programs, your blog will be free from annoying spam comments
- B2Evolution provides multiple Theme support
- Navigation is quite straight forward
- Installation of plugins is quite simple
- Difficult for non-technical blogger to use b2Evolution
- Performing customization requires knowledge of the language of the PHP tribe
- With respect to availability of extensions and their ease of use, Add-on community is limited
- User community is comparatively small
Bert Loomis was a visionary. This general session will highlight how Bert Loomis and people like him inspire us to build great things with small inventions. In their general session at 19th Cloud Expo, Harold Hannon, Architect at IBM Bluemix, and Michael O'Neill, Strategic Business Development at Nvidia, discussed the accelerating pace of AI development and how IBM Cloud and NVIDIA are partnering to bring AI capabilities to "every day," on-demand. They also reviewed two "free infrastructure" pr...
Apr. 24, 2017 02:45 AM EDT Reads: 761
In his keynote at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, Director of IoT Engineering at Citrix and co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, focused on building an IoT platform and company. He provided a behind-the-scenes look at Octoblu’s platform, business, and pivots along the way (including the Citrix acquisition of Octoblu).
Apr. 24, 2017 02:45 AM EDT Reads: 759
Data is an unusual currency; it is not restricted by the same transactional limitations as money or people. In fact, the more that you leverage your data across multiple business use cases, the more valuable it becomes to the organization. And the same can be said about the organization’s analytics. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Bill Schmarzo, CTO for the Big Data Practice at Dell EMC, introduced a methodology for capturing, enriching and sharing data (and analytics) across the organization...
Apr. 24, 2017 12:30 AM EDT Reads: 6,328
The explosion of new web/cloud/IoT-based applications and the data they generate are transforming our world right before our eyes. In this rush to adopt these new technologies, organizations are often ignoring fundamental questions concerning who owns the data and failing to ask for permission to conduct invasive surveillance of their customers. Organizations that are not transparent about how their systems gather data telemetry without offering shared data ownership risk product rejection, regu...
Apr. 24, 2017 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,007
Grape Up is a software company, specialized in cloud native application development and professional services related to Cloud Foundry PaaS. With five expert teams that operate in various sectors of the market across the USA and Europe, we work with a variety of customers from emerging startups to Fortune 1000 companies.
Apr. 23, 2017 11:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,986
Financial Technology has become a topic of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities. Accordingly, attendees at the upcoming 20th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York, June 6-8, 2017, will find fresh new content in a new track called FinTech.
Apr. 23, 2017 11:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,181
SYS-CON Events announced today that Interoute, owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Interoute is the owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform which encompasses 12 data centers, 14 virtual data centers and 31 colocation centers, with connections to 195 add...
Apr. 23, 2017 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,593
Multiple data types are pouring into IoT deployments. Data is coming in small packages as well as enormous files and data streams of many sizes. Widespread use of mobile devices adds to the total. In this power panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists will look at the tools and environments that are being put to use in IoT deployments, as well as the team skills a modern enterprise IT shop needs to keep things running, get a handle on all this data, and deli...
Apr. 23, 2017 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,957
The age of Digital Disruption is evolving into the next era – Digital Cohesion, an age in which applications securely self-assemble and deliver predictive services that continuously adapt to user behavior. Information from devices, sensors and applications around us will drive services seamlessly across mobile and fixed devices/infrastructure. This evolution is happening now in software defined services and secure networking. Four key drivers – Performance, Economics, Interoperability and Trust ...
Apr. 23, 2017 09:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,545
The Internet of Things is clearly many things: data collection and analytics, wearables, Smart Grids and Smart Cities, the Industrial Internet, and more. Cool platforms like Arduino, Raspberry Pi, Intel's Galileo and Edison, and a diverse world of sensors are making the IoT a great toy box for developers in all these areas. In this Power Panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists discussed what things are the most important, which will have the most profound e...
Apr. 23, 2017 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,954
@ThingsExpo has been named the Most Influential ‘Smart Cities - IIoT' Account and @BigDataExpo has been named fourteenth by Right Relevance (RR), which provides curated information and intelligence on approximately 50,000 topics. In addition, Right Relevance provides an Insights offering that combines the above Topics and Influencers information with real time conversations to provide actionable intelligence with visualizations to enable decision making. The Insights service is applicable to eve...
Apr. 23, 2017 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,405
SYS-CON Events announced today that Grape Up will exhibit at SYS-CON's 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on Oct. 31 – Nov 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Grape Up is a software company specializing in cloud native application development and professional services related to Cloud Foundry PaaS. With five expert teams that operate in various sectors of the market across the U.S. and Europe, Grape Up works with a variety of customers from emergi...
Apr. 23, 2017 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,658
SYS-CON Events announced today that Hitachi, the leading provider the Internet of Things and Digital Transformation, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Hitachi Data Systems, a wholly owned subsidiary of Hitachi, Ltd., offers an integrated portfolio of services and solutions that enable digital transformation through enhanced data management, governance, mobility and analytics. We help globa...
Apr. 23, 2017 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,891
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftLayer, an IBM Company, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. SoftLayer, an IBM Company, provides cloud infrastructure as a service from a growing number of data centers and network points of presence around the world. SoftLayer’s customers range from Web startups to global enterprises.
Apr. 23, 2017 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,893
20th Cloud Expo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy.
Apr. 23, 2017 04:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,821
SYS-CON Events announced today that Super Micro Computer, Inc., a global leader in compute, storage and networking technologies, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Supermicro (NASDAQ: SMCI), the leading innovator in high-performance, high-efficiency server technology, is a premier provider of advanced server Building Block Solutions® for Data Center, Cloud Computing, Enterprise IT, Hadoop/...
Apr. 23, 2017 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,797
Amazon has gradually rolled out parts of its IoT offerings in the last year, but these are just the tip of the iceberg. In addition to optimizing their back-end AWS offerings, Amazon is laying the ground work to be a major force in IoT – especially in the connected home and office. Amazon is extending its reach by building on its dominant Cloud IoT platform, its Dash Button strategy, recently announced Replenishment Services, the Echo/Alexa voice recognition control platform, the 6-7 strategic...
Apr. 23, 2017 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 4,793
Judith Hurwitz is president and CEO of Hurwitz & Associates, a Needham, Mass., research and consulting firm focused on emerging technology, including big data, cognitive computing and governance. She is co-author of the book Cognitive Computing and Big Data Analytics, published in 2015. Her Cloud Expo session, "What Is the Business Imperative for Cognitive Computing?" is scheduled for Wednesday, June 8, at 8:40 a.m. In it, she puts cognitive computing into perspective with its value to the busin...
Apr. 23, 2017 03:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,484
Cognitive Computing is becoming the foundation for a new generation of solutions that have the potential to transform business. Unlike traditional approaches to building solutions, a cognitive computing approach allows the data to help determine the way applications are designed. This contrasts with conventional software development that begins with defining logic based on the current way a business operates. In her session at 18th Cloud Expo, Judith S. Hurwitz, President and CEO of Hurwitz & ...
Apr. 23, 2017 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 8,761
Cybersecurity is a critical component of software development in many industries including medical devices. However, code is not always written to be robust or secure from the unknown or the unexpected. This gap can make medical devices susceptible to cybersecurity attacks ranging from compromised personal health information to life-sustaining treatment. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Clark Fortney, Software Engineer at Battelle, will discuss how programming oversight using key methods can incre...
Apr. 22, 2017 05:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,725