|By Business Wire||
|November 7, 2012 03:15 PM EST||
ScaleMP™, a leading provider of virtualization solutions for high-end computing, today announced the newest version of its server virtualization for aggregation software platform, vSMP Foundation™ 5. This latest release from ScaleMP includes new technologies that broaden the technical and business environments that can benefit from vSMP Foundation.
“The new functionality in vSMP Foundation 5 will help ScaleMP broaden its reach into more end users, including rapidly expanding application areas like Big Data,” said Addison Snell, CEO of Intersect360 Research. “For analytics and MapReduce types of applications, users want ease of programming and management over a scalable memory or I/O space, and vSMP Foundation gives them an opportunity to have that.”
New features available with vSMP Foundation 5
Extended hardware options:
- Intel True Scale HCAs support - vSMP Foundation 5 supports the latest Intel True Scale Fabric 7300 Series Host Adapter as a system interconnect. By supporting this new Intel InfiniBand adapter, vSMP Foundation allows for cost-effective, high-performance VMs designed from the ground up for the Intel ecosystem.
- 10GigE network adapters - vSMP Foundation 5 is providing customers with more choice when it comes to designing their 10GigE fabrics. This new version supports Emulex OneConnect 10GbE network adapters and the Broadcom NetXtreme II BCM578x0 family of network controllers.
- Processor support - vSMP Foundation 5 expands processor support for the Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-4600 family and the AMD Opteron™ 6300 series – providing support for the latest generation of processors for the most demanding workloads.
- Intel Xeon Phi coprocessor support - vSMP Foundation 5 supports the recently announced Intel Xeon Phi coprocessor, Intel’s latest entry for high performance computing in two modes: processor-virtualized mode and coprocessor-aggregated mode. Under the processor-virtualized mode, vSMP Foundation virtualizes the entire platform, both the host CPU and memory with the Intel Xeon Phi coprocessor cores and memory. Thus, any application that runs on an existing IA host system will seamlessly run on the Intel Xeon Phi coprocessor based system. Applications which are scalable will see an immediate performance gain due to having over 50 cores available running in one instance of the operating system. With a coprocessor-aggregated mode, vSMP Foundation 5 supports traditional coprocessor operational mode allowing for offloading and native execution when aggregating multiple servers to a larger virtual SMP.
- Large memory solution for big-data and analytics - vSMP Foundation for Memory Expansion (MEX) is a cost and performance optimized solution for users seeking to create very large memory VMs from industry standard systems. vSMP Foundation for Memory Expansion gives applications the ability to address all of the memory available from multiple servers while running just one instance of the operating system. Terabytes (TB) of memory can be easily accessed from a collection of inexpensive servers. Its unique cost structure makes this solution appealing for big-data, genomics and analytics customers.
- Hosted VM mode - Version 5 of vSMP Foundation will run on top of a virtual machine, in addition to physical servers. This allows cloud customers to expand memory from one VM into another VM on a different physical node. Hosted VM mode will initially support KVM (Kernel Virtual Machine) and will be expanded to additional hypervisors in the future.
- Ethernet connectivity for Hosted VM mode - hosted VM mode allows VMs to be created using standard Ethernet adapters. By supporting Ethernet as a system interconnect for a virtualized environment in addition to InfiniBand, vSMP Foundation can now run on a cost-effective infrastructure, appealing to a more diverse set of users and service providers.
- Batched I/O - vSMP Foundation 5 dramatically improves the I/O performance by batching I/O operations between system boards and executing scattered I/O commands in one transfer. I/O performance improvement depends on the device type. Typical network speed improvement could be up to 5x, and disk performance as much as 2x.
- IBM Platform HPC Integration - vSMP Foundation 5 has now been integrated with IBM Platform HPC. This allows for organizations to automate the workflow for a range of application requirements. Applications that need the CPU or memory resources not immediately available in a cluster at the time of job submission will now be able to have IBM Platform HPC create virtual SMPs as needed, and release the servers back to the cluster when the workload changes.
“vSMP Foundation 5 is a significant release from ScaleMP. We are broadening our reach by extending both the infrastructure we work with as well as our integration with workload management systems,” said Shai Fultheim, founder and CEO of ScaleMP. “We are enabling very large memory systems to be created, allowing for even more massive datasets to be analyzed, through our expansion of capabilities. Big Data analytics will benefit directly from the large memory offerings we are creating with our partners.”
Pricing & Availability
vSMP Foundation 5 is offered under the ScaleMP licensing model with prices starting as low as $400 per socket. The per-socket pricing model allows for greater simplicity when it comes to selecting platforms for vSMP Foundation. It provides customers peace of mind by focusing on the virtual SMP size and capabilities rather than on the nodes size and model. Additionally, vSMP Foundation is now available with floating licenses, allowing customers to reuse the same license for future hardware generations. Floating licenses provide the best ROI from vSMP Foundation licenses. General availability of vSMP Foundation 5 is expected in 1Q2013 and will be available for early access in December. For more information about vSMP Foundation, please visit http://www.ScaleMP.com/products.
About vSMP Foundation
vSMP Foundation aggregates multiple industry-standard off-the-shelf x86 servers into a single virtual high-end system. vSMP Foundation provides customers with an alternative to traditional expensive symmetrical multiprocessing (SMP) systems and also offers simplified clustering infrastructure with a single operating system. It supports aggregation of up to 128 servers into a single virtual SMP system, providing customers with:
- Up to 256 TB of shared memory for large memory requirements;
- Up to 32,768 cores virtual SMP, proven scalability and record-breaking memory bandwidth;
- Ease of use and lowest total cost of ownership (TCO) for clusters coupled with simplified storage architecture;
- On-demand SMP with support for most common provisioning systems, allowing for increased datacenter utilization with consolidated architecture;
For more information on vSMP Foundation please visit http://www.scalemp.com/products.
ScaleMP is the leader in virtualization for high-end computing, providing maximum performance and lower total cost of ownership (TCO). The innovative Versatile SMP™ (vSMP) architecture aggregates multiple independent systems into a single virtual system, delivering an industry-standard, high-end symmetric multiprocessing (SMP) computer. Using software to replace custom hardware and components, ScaleMP offers a new, revolutionary computing paradigm. For more information, please call +1-408-342-0330 or visit http://www.ScaleMP.com.
vSMP Foundation is a trademark or registered trademark of ScaleMP. All other brands or products are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders and should be treated as such.
Photos/Multimedia Gallery Available: http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/mmg.cgi?eid=50469735&lang=en
"Dice has been around for the last 20 years. We have been helping tech professionals find new jobs and career opportunities," explained Manish Dixit, VP of Product and Engineering at Dice, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 6, 2016 12:30 PM EST Reads: 998
An IoT product’s log files speak volumes about what’s happening with your products in the field, pinpointing current and potential issues, and enabling you to predict failures and save millions of dollars in inventory. But until recently, no one knew how to listen. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Dan Gettens, Chief Research Officer at OnProcess, discussed recent research by Massachusetts Institute of Technology and OnProcess Technology, where MIT created a new, breakthrough analytics model for ...
Dec. 6, 2016 12:28 PM EST
Internet of @ThingsExpo has announced today that Chris Matthieu has been named tech chair of Internet of @ThingsExpo 2017 New York The 7th Internet of @ThingsExpo will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York. Chris Matthieu is the co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, a revolutionary real-time IoT platform recently acquired by Citrix. Octoblu connects things, systems, people and clouds to a global mesh network allowing users to automate and control design flo...
Dec. 6, 2016 11:54 AM EST
SYS-CON Events has announced today that Roger Strukhoff has been named conference chair of Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo 2017 New York. The 20th Cloud Expo and 7th @ThingsExpo will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. "The Internet of Things brings trillions of dollars of opportunity to developers and enterprise IT, no matter how you measure it," stated Roger Strukhoff. "More importantly, it leverages the power of devices and the Internet to enable us all to im...
Dec. 6, 2016 11:45 AM EST Reads: 252
"At ROHA we develop an app called Catcha. It was developed after we spent a year meeting with, talking to, interacting with senior citizens watching them use their smartphones and talking to them about how they use their smartphones so we could get to know their smartphone behavior," explained Dave Woods, Chief Innovation Officer at ROHA, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 6, 2016 11:15 AM EST Reads: 411
DevOps is being widely accepted (if not fully adopted) as essential in enterprise IT. But as Enterprise DevOps gains maturity, expands scope, and increases velocity, the need for data-driven decisions across teams becomes more acute. DevOps teams in any modern business must wrangle the ‘digital exhaust’ from the delivery toolchain, "pervasive" and "cognitive" computing, APIs and services, mobile devices and applications, the Internet of Things, and now even blockchain. In this power panel at @...
Dec. 6, 2016 11:00 AM EST Reads: 560
"ReadyTalk is an audio and web video conferencing provider. We've really come to embrace WebRTC as the platform for our future of technology," explained Dan Cunningham, CTO of ReadyTalk, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at WebRTC Summit at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 6, 2016 10:15 AM EST Reads: 543
Financial Technology has become a topic of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities. Accordingly, attendees at the upcoming 20th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York, June 6-8, 2017, will find fresh new content in a new track called FinTech.
Dec. 6, 2016 09:15 AM EST Reads: 2,145
Whether your IoT service is connecting cars, homes, appliances, wearable, cameras or other devices, one question hangs in the balance – how do you actually make money from this service? The ability to turn your IoT service into profit requires the ability to create a monetization strategy that is flexible, scalable and working for you in real-time. It must be a transparent, smoothly implemented strategy that all stakeholders – from customers to the board – will be able to understand and comprehe...
Dec. 6, 2016 09:00 AM EST Reads: 3,967
In his keynote at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Keys, Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise, provided an overview of the evolution of the Internet and the Database and the future of their combination – the Blockchain. Andrew Keys is Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise. He comes to ConsenSys Enterprise with capital markets, technology and entrepreneurial experience. Previously, he worked for UBS investment bank in equities analysis. Later, he was responsible for the creation and distribution of life sett...
Dec. 6, 2016 08:45 AM EST Reads: 7,127
Successful digital transformation requires new organizational competencies and capabilities. Research tells us that the biggest impediment to successful transformation is human; consequently, the biggest enabler is a properly skilled and empowered workforce. In the digital age, new individual and collective competencies are required. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Bob Newhouse, CEO and founder of Agilitiv, drew together recent research and lessons learned from emerging and established compa...
Dec. 6, 2016 08:30 AM EST Reads: 888
The WebRTC Summit New York, to be held June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, announces that its Call for Papers is now open. Topics include all aspects of improving IT delivery by eliminating waste through automated business models leveraging cloud technologies. WebRTC Summit is co-located with 20th International Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo. WebRTC is the future of browser-to-browser communications, and continues to make inroads into the traditional, difficult, plug-in web co...
Dec. 6, 2016 08:30 AM EST Reads: 1,340
WebRTC is the future of browser-to-browser communications, and continues to make inroads into the traditional, difficult, plug-in web communications world. The 6th WebRTC Summit continues our tradition of delivering the latest and greatest presentations within the world of WebRTC. Topics include voice calling, video chat, P2P file sharing, and use cases that have already leveraged the power and convenience of WebRTC.
Dec. 6, 2016 08:15 AM EST Reads: 1,674
20th Cloud Expo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy.
Dec. 6, 2016 07:15 AM EST Reads: 1,839
Extracting business value from Internet of Things (IoT) data doesn’t happen overnight. There are several requirements that must be satisfied, including IoT device enablement, data analysis, real-time detection of complex events and automated orchestration of actions. Unfortunately, too many companies fall short in achieving their business goals by implementing incomplete solutions or not focusing on tangible use cases. In his general session at @ThingsExpo, Dave McCarthy, Director of Products...
Dec. 6, 2016 07:15 AM EST Reads: 752
Businesses and business units of all sizes can benefit from cloud computing, but many don't want the cost, performance and security concerns of public cloud nor the complexity of building their own private clouds. Today, some cloud vendors are using artificial intelligence (AI) to simplify cloud deployment and management. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Ajay Gulati, Co-founder and CEO of ZeroStack, will discuss how AI can simplify cloud operations. He will cover the following topics: why clou...
Dec. 6, 2016 07:00 AM EST Reads: 846
The Internet of Things (IoT) promises to simplify and streamline our lives by automating routine tasks that distract us from our goals. This promise is based on the ubiquitous deployment of smart, connected devices that link everything from industrial control systems to automobiles to refrigerators. Unfortunately, comparatively few of the devices currently deployed have been developed with an eye toward security, and as the DDoS attacks of late October 2016 have demonstrated, this oversight can ...
Dec. 6, 2016 06:30 AM EST Reads: 1,153
Internet-of-Things discussions can end up either going down the consumer gadget rabbit hole or focused on the sort of data logging that industrial manufacturers have been doing forever. However, in fact, companies today are already using IoT data both to optimize their operational technology and to improve the experience of customer interactions in novel ways. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Gordon Haff, Red Hat Technology Evangelist, will share examples from a wide range of industries – includin...
Dec. 6, 2016 05:00 AM EST Reads: 1,660
"We build IoT infrastructure products - when you have to integrate different devices, different systems and cloud you have to build an application to do that but we eliminate the need to build an application. Our products can integrate any device, any system, any cloud regardless of protocol," explained Peter Jung, Chief Product Officer at Pulzze Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 6, 2016 04:45 AM EST Reads: 1,006
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with 20th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry p...
Dec. 6, 2016 04:30 AM EST Reads: 1,937