|By Business Wire||
|November 7, 2012 03:15 PM EST||
ScaleMP™, a leading provider of virtualization solutions for high-end computing, today announced the newest version of its server virtualization for aggregation software platform, vSMP Foundation™ 5. This latest release from ScaleMP includes new technologies that broaden the technical and business environments that can benefit from vSMP Foundation.
“The new functionality in vSMP Foundation 5 will help ScaleMP broaden its reach into more end users, including rapidly expanding application areas like Big Data,” said Addison Snell, CEO of Intersect360 Research. “For analytics and MapReduce types of applications, users want ease of programming and management over a scalable memory or I/O space, and vSMP Foundation gives them an opportunity to have that.”
New features available with vSMP Foundation 5
Extended hardware options:
- Intel True Scale HCAs support - vSMP Foundation 5 supports the latest Intel True Scale Fabric 7300 Series Host Adapter as a system interconnect. By supporting this new Intel InfiniBand adapter, vSMP Foundation allows for cost-effective, high-performance VMs designed from the ground up for the Intel ecosystem.
- 10GigE network adapters - vSMP Foundation 5 is providing customers with more choice when it comes to designing their 10GigE fabrics. This new version supports Emulex OneConnect 10GbE network adapters and the Broadcom NetXtreme II BCM578x0 family of network controllers.
- Processor support - vSMP Foundation 5 expands processor support for the Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-4600 family and the AMD Opteron™ 6300 series – providing support for the latest generation of processors for the most demanding workloads.
- Intel Xeon Phi coprocessor support - vSMP Foundation 5 supports the recently announced Intel Xeon Phi coprocessor, Intel’s latest entry for high performance computing in two modes: processor-virtualized mode and coprocessor-aggregated mode. Under the processor-virtualized mode, vSMP Foundation virtualizes the entire platform, both the host CPU and memory with the Intel Xeon Phi coprocessor cores and memory. Thus, any application that runs on an existing IA host system will seamlessly run on the Intel Xeon Phi coprocessor based system. Applications which are scalable will see an immediate performance gain due to having over 50 cores available running in one instance of the operating system. With a coprocessor-aggregated mode, vSMP Foundation 5 supports traditional coprocessor operational mode allowing for offloading and native execution when aggregating multiple servers to a larger virtual SMP.
- Large memory solution for big-data and analytics - vSMP Foundation for Memory Expansion (MEX) is a cost and performance optimized solution for users seeking to create very large memory VMs from industry standard systems. vSMP Foundation for Memory Expansion gives applications the ability to address all of the memory available from multiple servers while running just one instance of the operating system. Terabytes (TB) of memory can be easily accessed from a collection of inexpensive servers. Its unique cost structure makes this solution appealing for big-data, genomics and analytics customers.
- Hosted VM mode - Version 5 of vSMP Foundation will run on top of a virtual machine, in addition to physical servers. This allows cloud customers to expand memory from one VM into another VM on a different physical node. Hosted VM mode will initially support KVM (Kernel Virtual Machine) and will be expanded to additional hypervisors in the future.
- Ethernet connectivity for Hosted VM mode - hosted VM mode allows VMs to be created using standard Ethernet adapters. By supporting Ethernet as a system interconnect for a virtualized environment in addition to InfiniBand, vSMP Foundation can now run on a cost-effective infrastructure, appealing to a more diverse set of users and service providers.
- Batched I/O - vSMP Foundation 5 dramatically improves the I/O performance by batching I/O operations between system boards and executing scattered I/O commands in one transfer. I/O performance improvement depends on the device type. Typical network speed improvement could be up to 5x, and disk performance as much as 2x.
- IBM Platform HPC Integration - vSMP Foundation 5 has now been integrated with IBM Platform HPC. This allows for organizations to automate the workflow for a range of application requirements. Applications that need the CPU or memory resources not immediately available in a cluster at the time of job submission will now be able to have IBM Platform HPC create virtual SMPs as needed, and release the servers back to the cluster when the workload changes.
“vSMP Foundation 5 is a significant release from ScaleMP. We are broadening our reach by extending both the infrastructure we work with as well as our integration with workload management systems,” said Shai Fultheim, founder and CEO of ScaleMP. “We are enabling very large memory systems to be created, allowing for even more massive datasets to be analyzed, through our expansion of capabilities. Big Data analytics will benefit directly from the large memory offerings we are creating with our partners.”
Pricing & Availability
vSMP Foundation 5 is offered under the ScaleMP licensing model with prices starting as low as $400 per socket. The per-socket pricing model allows for greater simplicity when it comes to selecting platforms for vSMP Foundation. It provides customers peace of mind by focusing on the virtual SMP size and capabilities rather than on the nodes size and model. Additionally, vSMP Foundation is now available with floating licenses, allowing customers to reuse the same license for future hardware generations. Floating licenses provide the best ROI from vSMP Foundation licenses. General availability of vSMP Foundation 5 is expected in 1Q2013 and will be available for early access in December. For more information about vSMP Foundation, please visit http://www.ScaleMP.com/products.
About vSMP Foundation
vSMP Foundation aggregates multiple industry-standard off-the-shelf x86 servers into a single virtual high-end system. vSMP Foundation provides customers with an alternative to traditional expensive symmetrical multiprocessing (SMP) systems and also offers simplified clustering infrastructure with a single operating system. It supports aggregation of up to 128 servers into a single virtual SMP system, providing customers with:
- Up to 256 TB of shared memory for large memory requirements;
- Up to 32,768 cores virtual SMP, proven scalability and record-breaking memory bandwidth;
- Ease of use and lowest total cost of ownership (TCO) for clusters coupled with simplified storage architecture;
- On-demand SMP with support for most common provisioning systems, allowing for increased datacenter utilization with consolidated architecture;
For more information on vSMP Foundation please visit http://www.scalemp.com/products.
ScaleMP is the leader in virtualization for high-end computing, providing maximum performance and lower total cost of ownership (TCO). The innovative Versatile SMP™ (vSMP) architecture aggregates multiple independent systems into a single virtual system, delivering an industry-standard, high-end symmetric multiprocessing (SMP) computer. Using software to replace custom hardware and components, ScaleMP offers a new, revolutionary computing paradigm. For more information, please call +1-408-342-0330 or visit http://www.ScaleMP.com.
vSMP Foundation is a trademark or registered trademark of ScaleMP. All other brands or products are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders and should be treated as such.
Photos/Multimedia Gallery Available: http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/mmg.cgi?eid=50469735&lang=en
Grape Up is a software company, specialized in cloud native application development and professional services related to Cloud Foundry PaaS. With five expert teams that operate in various sectors of the market across the USA and Europe, we work with a variety of customers from emerging startups to Fortune 1000 companies.
Apr. 27, 2017 10:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,425
Financial Technology has become a topic of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities. Accordingly, attendees at the upcoming 20th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York, June 6-8, 2017, will find fresh new content in a new track called FinTech.
Apr. 27, 2017 10:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,447
@GonzalezCarmen has been ranked the Number One Influencer and @ThingsExpo has been named the Number One Brand in the “M2M 2016: Top 100 Influencers and Brands” by Analytic. Onalytica analyzed tweets over the last 6 months mentioning the keywords M2M OR “Machine to Machine.” They then identified the top 100 most influential brands and individuals leading the discussion on Twitter.
Apr. 27, 2017 10:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,279
Cognitive Computing is becoming the foundation for a new generation of solutions that have the potential to transform business. Unlike traditional approaches to building solutions, a cognitive computing approach allows the data to help determine the way applications are designed. This contrasts with conventional software development that begins with defining logic based on the current way a business operates. In her session at 18th Cloud Expo, Judith S. Hurwitz, President and CEO of Hurwitz & ...
Apr. 27, 2017 10:15 PM EDT Reads: 9,231
In his keynote at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, Director of IoT Engineering at Citrix and co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, focused on building an IoT platform and company. He provided a behind-the-scenes look at Octoblu’s platform, business, and pivots along the way (including the Citrix acquisition of Octoblu).
Apr. 27, 2017 10:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,463
SYS-CON Events announced today that Interoute, owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Interoute is the owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform which encompasses 12 data centers, 14 virtual data centers and 31 colocation centers, with connections to 195 add...
Apr. 27, 2017 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,048
With billions of sensors deployed worldwide, the amount of machine-generated data will soon exceed what our networks can handle. But consumers and businesses will expect seamless experiences and real-time responsiveness. What does this mean for IoT devices and the infrastructure that supports them? More of the data will need to be handled at - or closer to - the devices themselves.
Apr. 27, 2017 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 887
Web Real-Time Communication APIs have quickly revolutionized what browsers are capable of. In addition to video and audio streams, we can now bi-directionally send arbitrary data over WebRTC's PeerConnection Data Channels. With the advent of Progressive Web Apps and new hardware APIs such as WebBluetooh and WebUSB, we can finally enable users to stitch together the Internet of Things directly from their browsers while communicating privately and securely in a decentralized way.
Apr. 27, 2017 09:15 PM EDT Reads: 9,111
Today we can collect lots and lots of performance data. We build beautiful dashboards and even have fancy query languages to access and transform the data. Still performance data is a secret language only a couple of people understand. The more business becomes digital the more stakeholders are interested in this data including how it relates to business. Some of these people have never used a monitoring tool before. They have a question on their mind like “How is my application doing” but no id...
Apr. 27, 2017 09:15 PM EDT Reads: 7,295
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with 20th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry p...
Apr. 27, 2017 09:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,273
Multiple data types are pouring into IoT deployments. Data is coming in small packages as well as enormous files and data streams of many sizes. Widespread use of mobile devices adds to the total. In this power panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists will look at the tools and environments that are being put to use in IoT deployments, as well as the team skills a modern enterprise IT shop needs to keep things running, get a handle on all this data, and deli...
Apr. 27, 2017 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,497
SYS-CON Events announced today that CollabNet, a global leader in enterprise software development, release automation and DevOps solutions, will be a Bronze Sponsor of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, taking place from June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. CollabNet offers a broad range of solutions with the mission of helping modern organizations deliver quality software at speed. The company’s latest innovation, the DevOps Lifecycle Manager (DLM), supports Value S...
Apr. 27, 2017 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,139
The Internet of Things is clearly many things: data collection and analytics, wearables, Smart Grids and Smart Cities, the Industrial Internet, and more. Cool platforms like Arduino, Raspberry Pi, Intel's Galileo and Edison, and a diverse world of sensors are making the IoT a great toy box for developers in all these areas. In this Power Panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists discussed what things are the most important, which will have the most profound e...
Apr. 27, 2017 07:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,317
The explosion of new web/cloud/IoT-based applications and the data they generate are transforming our world right before our eyes. In this rush to adopt these new technologies, organizations are often ignoring fundamental questions concerning who owns the data and failing to ask for permission to conduct invasive surveillance of their customers. Organizations that are not transparent about how their systems gather data telemetry without offering shared data ownership risk product rejection, regu...
Apr. 27, 2017 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,633
SYS-CON Events announced today that Grape Up will exhibit at SYS-CON's 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on Oct. 31 – Nov 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Grape Up is a software company specializing in cloud native application development and professional services related to Cloud Foundry PaaS. With five expert teams that operate in various sectors of the market across the U.S. and Europe, Grape Up works with a variety of customers from emergi...
Apr. 27, 2017 06:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,231
The age of Digital Disruption is evolving into the next era – Digital Cohesion, an age in which applications securely self-assemble and deliver predictive services that continuously adapt to user behavior. Information from devices, sensors and applications around us will drive services seamlessly across mobile and fixed devices/infrastructure. This evolution is happening now in software defined services and secure networking. Four key drivers – Performance, Economics, Interoperability and Trust ...
Apr. 27, 2017 06:45 PM EDT Reads: 758
@ThingsExpo has been named the Most Influential ‘Smart Cities - IIoT' Account and @BigDataExpo has been named fourteenth by Right Relevance (RR), which provides curated information and intelligence on approximately 50,000 topics. In addition, Right Relevance provides an Insights offering that combines the above Topics and Influencers information with real time conversations to provide actionable intelligence with visualizations to enable decision making. The Insights service is applicable to eve...
Apr. 27, 2017 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,836
DevOps is often described as a combination of technology and culture. Without both, DevOps isn't complete. However, applying the culture to outdated technology is a recipe for disaster; as response times grow and connections between teams are delayed by technology, the culture will die. A Nutanix Enterprise Cloud has many benefits that provide the needed base for a true DevOps paradigm.
Apr. 27, 2017 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,055
Cybersecurity is a critical component of software development in many industries including medical devices. However, code is not always written to be robust or secure from the unknown or the unexpected. This gap can make medical devices susceptible to cybersecurity attacks ranging from compromised personal health information to life-sustaining treatment. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Clark Fortney, Software Engineer at Battelle, will discuss how programming oversight using key methods can incre...
Apr. 27, 2017 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,985
Most technology leaders, contemporary and from the hardware era, are reshaping their businesses to do software in the hope of capturing value in IoT. Although IoT is relatively new in the market, it has already gone through many promotional terms such as IoE, IoX, SDX, Edge/Fog, Mist Compute, etc. Ultimately, irrespective of the name, it is about deriving value from independent software assets participating in an ecosystem as one comprehensive solution.
Apr. 27, 2017 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 579