|By John Cowan||
|December 5, 2012 03:49 PM EST||
I spent last week in Las Vegas at the AWS re:Invent show and it was a great week – and not just because I love Vegas! As Co-Founder and CTO of 6fusion I spend a lot of time evaluating new cloud technologies and cloud trends, and then leveraging the best cloud technologies into our technology platform for our customers’ and partners’ benefit. We have an advanced cloud platform that is pushing the boundaries of infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) and cloud federation.
That’s one of the reasons I enjoyed the AWS re:Invent conference, because it’s great to see an industry leader and very large company like Amazon also pushing the boundaries of what’s next. For those that weren’t able to attend the conference, here are some highlights that I found interesting:
1. AWS launched 2 new services last week that are of interest:
First, the AWS data warehousing service they launched in beta and are calling Redshift is interesting not only because of the order of magnitude lower costs, but also because it is fully managed – data warehousing-as-a-service if you can call it that. Amazon takes care of all the set up, maintenance and scaling of the data warehouse.
Second, AWS Simple Workflow Service (SWS), also launched in beta, is a workflow service aimed at asynchronous and distributed processing needs for applications. This obviously encourage application development and deployment in AWS, but is also interesting because you don’t necessarily have to use AWS for the application. You can leverage SWS only for workflow processing-as-a-service without having to develop and coordinate tasks across distributed applications, again fully managed and maintained by Amazon.
2. Both of the services launched last week are indicative of a move by AWS toward a data-centric, IT in the cloud world where gathering, organizing and processing relevant data is becoming a competitive differentiator. AWS is moving this way by expanding platform-as-a-service (PaaS) on top of the IaaS foundation they have established. If you look at services such as Beanstalk, CloudFormation, Identity and Access Management (IAM), and others you see services that support the development, integration, operation and management of applications in AWS. These are PaaS services and cloud software applications that support building more robust applications on AWS. I expect to more of this coming in future product announcements from AWS.
3. The move to build more PaaS services is a highly logical move for AWS to drive additional usage of AWS infrastructure, something Andy Jassy (AWS SVP) commented on in his keynote presentation. He referenced a virtuous circle of growth AWS is experiencing where reduced prices leads to more customers, which leads to more AWS utilization, which leads to more IaaS that AWS builds, which gives AWS better economies of scale, which lowers infrastructure costs, which reduces prices and the circle continues. We’ve recently seen AWS and Google drop prices on compute and storage.
4. Andy Jassy also referenced a few other things in his keynote worth noting regarding the adoption of cloud computing and IaaS. First, you no longer need to guess about capacity anymore like you do when build your own infrastructure. I completely agree and this is a foundational component of 6fusion’s technology platform and the WAC. Getting detailed IT resource consumption data is key to understanding exactly how many resources you need regardless of where they are being sourced from. Second, companies can now stop spending resources on undifferentiated “heavy lifting” involved in infrastructure. As much as I hate to call infrastructure undifferentiated, he’s right. Today infrastructure and computing capacity does not differentiate – it’s critically important to run any organization but the day-to-day operation and maintenance of infrastructure doesn’t separate you from your competition. Third, even the smallest companies can go global in minutes. We see this as a key value proposition for IaaS and 6fusion’s iNodes in 4 countries on 3 continents attest to that. Customers absolutely see the value and necessity for putting workloads in different locations (see 6fusion’s recent UK expansion).
5. All of the items above are indicative of a larger trend within AWS and the IaaS market as a whole, which is the abstraction of the infrastructure and OS/hypervisor layers. The lines between machine and application are blurring – similar to the way PaaS is blurring lines across the industry as a whole. The world is moving to an app-centric model where you don’t have to worry about individual machines and servers – how many cores, how much storage, what processing power, etc is included in each machine and how many machines we need. Instead of worry about servers and capacity, we are moving to a world where we think about the amount of cloud computing power needed and for how long. Compute infrastructure is becoming a true on-demand utility compute-as-a-service. My fellow 6fusion Co-Founder John Cowan has a great series of blogs on utility computing.
Overall what I saw at the conference validated several trends that we at 6fusion are seeing and working on every day. I look forward to continuing to push the envelope in IaaS and cloud services in general. To that end, we are working on building some exciting new technology that will leverage AWS and 6fusion’s metering technology that we call Cloud Resource Meter. More on that to come in future posts.
6fusion Co-Founder and CTO
SoftLayer operates a global cloud infrastructure platform built for Internet scale. With a global footprint of data centers and network points of presence, SoftLayer provides infrastructure as a service to leading-edge customers ranging from Web startups to global enterprises. SoftLayer's modular architecture, full-featured API, and sophisticated automation provide unparalleled performance and control. Its flexible unified platform seamlessly spans physical and virtual devices linked via a world...
May. 26, 2016 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,881
In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Bruce Swann, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Adobe, will discuss how the Adobe Marketing Cloud can help marketers embrace opportunities for personalized, relevant and real-time customer engagement across offline (direct mail, point of sale, call center) and digital (email, website, SMS, mobile apps, social networks, connected objects). Bruce Swann has more than 15 years of experience working with digital marketing disciplines like web analytics, social med...
May. 26, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,225
SYS-CON Events announced today that EastBanc Technologies will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. EastBanc Technologies has been working at the frontier of technology since 1999. Today, the firm provides full-lifecycle software development delivering flexible technology solutions that seamlessly integrate with existing systems – whether on premise or cloud. EastBanc Technologies partners with p...
May. 26, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,010
SYS-CON Events announced today that 24Notion has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. 24Notion is full-service global creative digital marketing, technology and lifestyle agency that combines strategic ideas with customized tactical execution. With a broad understand of the art of traditional marketing, new media, communications and social influence, 24Notion uniquely understands how to con...
May. 26, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,740
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York and Silicon Valley. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 17th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty ...
May. 26, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,416
SYS-CON Events announced today that Commvault, a global leader in enterprise data protection and information management, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Commvault is a leading provider of data protection and information management...
May. 26, 2016 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,889
Companies can harness IoT and predictive analytics to sustain business continuity; predict and manage site performance during emergencies; minimize expensive reactive maintenance; and forecast equipment and maintenance budgets and expenditures. Providing cost-effective, uninterrupted service is challenging, particularly for organizations with geographically dispersed operations.
May. 26, 2016 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,718
Join us at Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo 2016 – June 7-9 at the Javits Center in New York City and November 1-3 at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – and deliver your unique message in a way that is striking and unforgettable by taking advantage of SYS-CON's unmatched high-impact, result-driven event / media packages.
May. 26, 2016 08:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,103
SYS-CON Events announced today that BMC Software has been named "Siver Sponsor" of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2015 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. BMC is a global leader in innovative software solutions that help businesses transform into digital enterprises for the ultimate competitive advantage. BMC Digital Enterprise Management is a set of innovative IT solutions designed to make digital business fast, seamless, and optimized from mainframe to mo...
May. 26, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,934
The IoTs will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, will demonstrate how to move beyond today's coding paradigm and share the must-have mindsets for removing complexity from the development proc...
May. 26, 2016 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,840
18th Cloud Expo, taking place June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterprises are using some...
May. 26, 2016 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,923
In his keynote at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Keys, Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise, will provide an overview of the evolution of the Internet and the Database and the future of their combination – the Blockchain. Andrew Keys is Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise. He comes to ConsenSys Enterprise with capital markets, technology and entrepreneurial experience. Previously, he worked for UBS investment bank in equities analysis. Later, he was responsible for the creation and distribution of life ...
May. 26, 2016 07:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,824
SYS-CON Events announced today that Tintri Inc., a leading producer of VM-aware storage (VAS) for virtualization and cloud environments, will exhibit at the 18th International CloudExpo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
May. 26, 2016 07:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,158
Designing IoT applications is complex, but deploying them in a scalable fashion is even more complex. A scalable, API first IaaS cloud is a good start, but in order to understand the various components specific to deploying IoT applications, one needs to understand the architecture of these applications and figure out how to scale these components independently. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Nara Rajagopalan is CEO of Accelerite, will discuss the fundamental architecture of IoT applications, ...
May. 26, 2016 06:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,037
The IoT is changing the way enterprises conduct business. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Hoffman, Vice President at EastBanc Technologies, discuss how businesses can gain an edge over competitors by empowering consumers to take control through IoT. We'll cite examples such as a Washington, D.C.-based sports club that leveraged IoT and the cloud to develop a comprehensive booking system. He'll also highlight how IoT can revitalize and restore outdated business models, making them profitable...
May. 26, 2016 06:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,659
SYS-CON Events announced today Object Management Group® has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
May. 26, 2016 06:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,298
SYS-CON Events announced today that Alert Logic, Inc., the leading provider of Security-as-a-Service solutions for the cloud, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Alert Logic, Inc., provides Security-as-a-Service for on-premises, cloud, and hybrid infrastructures, delivering deep security insight and continuous protection for customers at a lower cost than traditional security solutions. Ful...
May. 26, 2016 05:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,658
SYS-CON Events announced today that MobiDev will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. MobiDev is a software company that develops and delivers turn-key mobile apps, websites, web services, and complex software systems for startups and enterprises. Since 2009 it has grown from a small group of passionate engineers and business managers to a full-scale mobile software company with over 200 develope...
May. 26, 2016 05:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,441
WebRTC is bringing significant change to the communications landscape that will bridge the worlds of web and telephony, making the Internet the new standard for communications. Cloud9 took the road less traveled and used WebRTC to create a downloadable enterprise-grade communications platform that is changing the communication dynamic in the financial sector. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Leo Papadopoulos, CTO of Cloud9, will discuss the importance of WebRTC and how it enables companies to fo...
May. 26, 2016 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,467
SYS-CON Events announced today TechTarget has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. TechTarget is the Web’s leading destination for serious technology buyers researching and making enterprise technology decisions. Its extensive global networ...
May. 26, 2016 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 3,088