|By Business Wire||
|December 13, 2012 09:30 AM EST||
Dell today announced new solutions, partnerships and services that enable customers to take advantage of major transformative forces in the data center, focusing specifically on the smooth migration to and management of converged, virtualized and cloud infrastructures. As of early 2012, 50 percent of all installed workloads were running VMs, so many of the easily virtualized workloads are already virtualized, according to Gartner1. As this number grows rapidly, Dell is accelerating its commitment to open innovation and scalable architectures to enable customers to reap the benefits.
“In an effort to drive IT simplicity, efficiency and predictability, enterprises are rapidly embracing converged, virtualized and cloud environments,” said Marius Haas, president of Enterprise Solutions Group, Dell. “Dell is helping businesses rethink their approach to the data center, to help them realize the full benefits of these trends. By combining Dell’s scalable design focus and powerful data center offerings with Dell’s enterprise software assets and services deployment philosophy, Dell is uniquely positioned to help customers build an open and flexible data center of the future.”
As part of Dell’s customer-inspired, end-to-end solutions vision, Dell is quickly building upon its recent announcement of Active Infrastructure, Dell’s family of converged infrastructure solutions. With the announcement of the first set of workload solution reference architectures certified, qualified and optimized for the Active System 800, Dell is giving IT organizations blueprints to deploy VDI and unified communications and collaboration applications essential to any organization. These workload solutions enable IT organizations to help businesses maximize workforce productivity, deliver faster and efficient results, and enable organizations to scale. The new workloads include:
- DVS Enterprise Active System 800 with Citrix XenDesktop Reference architecture
- DVS Enterprise Active System 800 with VMware View Reference architecture
- Microsoft Exchange 2010 Reference architecture
- Microsoft SharePoint 2010 Reference architecture
- Microsoft Lync 2010 Reference architecture
In addition, Dell expanded upon its vision for Active Infrastructure by sharing how it plans to continue to fill the gaps in the industry with intuitive, flexible and comprehensive converged infrastructure solutions for customers. By building upon scalable organic and acquired IP from Gale Technologies, Dell is creating broader business impact beyond the infrastructure to the applications and workloads that truly power businesses. Today, Dell is sharing three key elements of its Active Infrastructure vision, including:
- The ability to provision workloads in just a matter of hours after an Active System 800 arrives fully assembled and crated at the customer site2. Typically, deploying new IT services can take months, according to IDC3. Active System Manager enhanced with Gale Technologies IP would enable IT admins to not only rapidly provision physical infrastructure but also deploy either virtual clusters in an infrastructure-as-a-service manner or highly-available instances of common business workloads using standardized templates. The business benefits from improved IT responsiveness and faster return on investment.
- The integration of Dell Fluid Cache technology into Active Infrastructure. By introducing tier 0 storage in servers that is integrated with Dell’s Compellent storage array, Active Infrastructure customers could extend the benefits of virtualization to performance-sensitive, mission-critical applications.
- The flexibility to support select third-party platforms and integrate into existing infrastructure deployments and management frameworks. Future versions of Active System Manager enhanced with Gale Technologies IP would allow customers to support third-party platforms that are already deployed, helping save time, money, and creating a flexible, open, modern converged environment. Dell will also enable a broad ecosystem of partners for Active System Manager as well as provide a robust set of APIs to enable custom integrations with home-grown system management infrastructure.
With leading innovation in server density in the PowerEdge 12th generation portfolio, Dell’s year-over-year x86 server shipment growth outpaced the worldwide industry and the other two largest competitors, according to International Data Corporation’s (IDC) Q3 2012 Worldwide Quarterly Server Tracker. Dell is helping customers optimize their virtualized data centers with 376 percent more virtual machines per U of rack space than HP4. Enhancements to Dell OpenManage systems management solutions enable customers to take advantage of the advanced management capabilities inherent in Dell servers, storage and networking devices, with key benefits including:
- Simplified, remote management, with a time savings for a single system of up to 25 percent, that helps eliminate agent-based maintenance functions that rob IT resources of performance, power and productivity.
- Enhanced automation with the ability to capture system profiles and apply them to new systems to reduce repetitive manual tasks and operational expenses for deployment. “Time to deployment” improvements increases data center resource efficiency.
- Enhanced availability and security by decreasing service cycle down time, increasing problem identification and remediation. Dell SupportAssist, integrated with OpenManage Essentials, is a proactive capability that ensures maximum uptime by automatically transmitting troubleshooting information to Dell technical support, which in turn hastens resolution and parts replacement.
Cloud Storage, Open Source and Big Data Solutions
Dell announced new options for customers exploring various cloud storage options, and other new OpenStack-based products and Emerging Solutions Ecosystem partners to enable customers to take full advantage of open source cloud and big data solutions.
Dell is committed to giving customers choice with open, standards-based solutions. New choices for cloud storage include:
- In the cloud: Dell partners Ippany B.V. and Mezeo Software have certified solutions with Dell to enable secure and mobile corporate data collaboration via private cloud solutions, based on the Dell Fluid File System and Dell DX Object Storage Platform. These solutions give customers secure access to corporate data anywhere, and help support the growing demands of IT organizations looking to support BYOD (bring your own device) initiatives while protecting the security and availability of corporate data. Ippany B.V. and Mezeo Software are part of the growing Dell storage partner ecosystem that is certified to support a range of customer requirements for storage, data management and vertical applications.
- On-premise-to-cloud: For Dell customers using EqualLogic storage, and interested in exploring cloud storage, Dell plans to make available in 2013 an EqualLogic driver for Crowbar, the open source software framework developed by Dell to enable Dell storage with OpenStack clouds.
- Open source cloud: Inktank joined Dell’s Emerging Solutions Ecosystem, a partnership program designed to deliver complementary and interoperable hardware, software and services components. The Inktank partnership provides Dell customers with an additional cloud-based storage option compatible with the OpenStack-Powered Cloud Solution and based on the Ceph distributed storage system. Ceph is designed to enable scalable object, block and file system storage in a single cluster.
Dell is expanding its commitment to open innovation and support for its ecosystem of open partners:
- SUSE will join the Emerging Solutions Ecosystem, fully integrating Crowbar with SUSE Cloud, making it faster and easier for customers deploying OpenStack-based private clouds.
- Dell is building Crowbar 2.0, and engaging with this community to update this open source software framework, which enables customers to install cloud software across clusters and scale out systems quickly and automatically. Crowbar’s open source model is critical to Dell Enterprise Systems Group’s open innovation strategy.
- To accelerate customers’ journey to the cloud and to enable gathering insights from their big data, Dell and Intel have partnered to enable customer access to Dell’s Hadoop big data solutions and OpenStack-powered cloud solutions within Dell Solution Centers and Dell Modular Data Centers.
And, thanks to thousands of project Sputnik beta program applications from developers, Dell has introduced a client-to-cloud developer solution – the Dell XPS 13 laptop, Developer Edition. This project was the first from Dell’s innovation program, established to enable and fund innovation from anyone in the company. The second project from this incubation program, RIPTide, is a real-time analytics solution that can assemble relevant data sets – structured and unstructured – on-the-fly, using real-time data integration enabled by Dell Boomi and real-time business intelligence capabilities for reports, dashboards, analytics, and services for easy deployment with mid-market customers.
- The Ippany B.V. and Mezeo Software private cloud solutions certified with Dell storage are available today.
- The Active System 800 and Active System Manager are currently available in the U.S. and will be available globally in February 2013.
- The Active System 800 workloads solutions reference architectures are now available for VMware View, and Microsoft Exchange, SharePoint and Lync 2010. The workload solution reference architecture for Citrix XenDesktop will be available at the beginning of 2013.
- The new solutions and vision described for Active Infrastructure will roll out in the second half of 2013.
1 Gartner, Inc., Top Five Trends for x86 Server Virtualization, Thomas J. Bittman, March 22, 2012.
2 All Active System beta customers were able to deploy the solution within four hours of delivery.
3 According to the December 2011 IDC Converged Infrastructure Survey 2011: Out of the Clouds, Down to Earth, 57 percent of respondents said deploying new IT services can take more than 31 days. Of those respondents, 37 percent said it could take 91 to 180 days.
4 Comparisons based on February 2012 Principled Technologies extrapolation of 10U worth of Rack servers (5 servers x 4 VMs per server = 20 VMs per 10U or 2.0VMs/U) vs. 10U worth of Blade servers (16 servers x 6 VMs per server = 96 VMs per 10U or 9.6VMs/U)
Dell Inc. (NASDAQ: DELL) listens to customers and delivers innovative technology and services that give them the power to do more. For more information, visit www.dell.com.
Join us at Dell World 2012 – The Power to Do More. Technology professionals will learn from one another and identify key challenges and opportunities connected to the top forces changing business today. Learn more at www.dellworld.com, attend our virtual event at Dell World: Live Online or follow #DellWorld on Twitter.
Dell and PowerEdge are trademarks of Dell Inc. Dell disclaims any proprietary interest in the marks and names of others.
You think you know what’s in your data. But do you? Most organizations are now aware of the business intelligence represented by their data. Data science stands to take this to a level you never thought of – literally. The techniques of data science, when used with the capabilities of Big Data technologies, can make connections you had not yet imagined, helping you discover new insights and ask new questions of your data. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Sarbjit Sarkaria, data science team lead ...
Jul. 25, 2016 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 942
Extracting business value from Internet of Things (IoT) data doesn’t happen overnight. There are several requirements that must be satisfied, including IoT device enablement, data analysis, real-time detection of complex events and automated orchestration of actions. Unfortunately, too many companies fall short in achieving their business goals by implementing incomplete solutions or not focusing on tangible use cases. In his general session at @ThingsExpo, Dave McCarthy, Director of Products...
Jul. 25, 2016 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,684
"delaPlex is a software development company. We do team-based outsourcing development," explained Mark Rivers, COO and Co-founder of delaPlex Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 25, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,969
WebRTC is bringing significant change to the communications landscape that will bridge the worlds of web and telephony, making the Internet the new standard for communications. Cloud9 took the road less traveled and used WebRTC to create a downloadable enterprise-grade communications platform that is changing the communication dynamic in the financial sector. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Leo Papadopoulos, CTO of Cloud9, discussed the importance of WebRTC and how it enables companies to focus...
Jul. 25, 2016 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 858
Is your aging software platform suffering from technical debt while the market changes and demands new solutions at a faster clip? It’s a bold move, but you might consider walking away from your core platform and starting fresh. ReadyTalk did exactly that. In his General Session at 19th Cloud Expo, Michael Chambliss, Head of Engineering at ReadyTalk, will discuss why and how ReadyTalk diverted from healthy revenue and over a decade of audio conferencing product development to start an innovati...
Jul. 25, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 952
Early adopters of IoT viewed it mainly as a different term for machine-to-machine connectivity or M2M. This is understandable since a prerequisite for any IoT solution is the ability to collect and aggregate device data, which is most often presented in a dashboard. The problem is that viewing data in a dashboard requires a human to interpret the results and take manual action, which doesn’t scale to the needs of IoT.
Jul. 25, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,930
SYS-CON Events announced today that 910Telecom will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Housed in the classic Denver Gas & Electric Building, 910 15th St., 910Telecom is a carrier-neutral telecom hotel located in the heart of Denver. Adjacent to CenturyLink, AT&T, and Denver Main, 910Telecom offers connectivity to all major carriers, Internet service providers, Internet backbones and ...
Jul. 25, 2016 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 467
CenturyLink has announced that application server solutions from GENBAND are now available as part of CenturyLink’s Networx contracts. The General Services Administration (GSA)’s Networx program includes the largest telecommunications contract vehicles ever awarded by the federal government. CenturyLink recently secured an extension through spring 2020 of its offerings available to federal government agencies via GSA’s Networx Universal and Enterprise contracts. GENBAND’s EXPERiUS™ Application...
Jul. 25, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,818
IoT generates lots of temporal data. But how do you unlock its value? You need to discover patterns that are repeatable in vast quantities of data, understand their meaning, and implement scalable monitoring across multiple data streams in order to monetize the discoveries and insights. Motif discovery and deep learning platforms are emerging to visualize sensor data, to search for patterns and to build application that can monitor real time streams efficiently. In his session at @ThingsExpo, ...
Jul. 25, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 909
Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE, Nasdaq: VZ) and Yahoo! Inc. (Nasdaq: YHOO) have entered into a definitive agreement under which Verizon will acquire Yahoo's operating business for approximately $4.83 billion in cash, subject to customary closing adjustments. Yahoo informs, connects and entertains a global audience of more than 1 billion monthly active users** -- including 600 million monthly active mobile users*** through its search, communications and digital content products. Yahoo also co...
Jul. 25, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 352
"There's a growing demand from users for things to be faster. When you think about all the transactions or interactions users will have with your product and everything that is between those transactions and interactions - what drives us at Catchpoint Systems is the idea to measure that and to analyze it," explained Leo Vasiliou, Director of Web Performance Engineering at Catchpoint Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York Ci...
Jul. 25, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,945
"Tintri was started in 2008 with the express purpose of building a storage appliance that is ideal for virtualized environments. We support a lot of different hypervisor platforms from VMware to OpenStack to Hyper-V," explained Dan Florea, Director of Product Management at Tintri, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 25, 2016 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,870
The best-practices for building IoT applications with Go Code that attendees can use to build their own IoT applications. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Indraneel Mitra, Senior Solutions Architect & Technology Evangelist at Cognizant, provided valuable information and resources for both novice and experienced developers on how to get started with IoT and Golang in a day. He also provided information on how to use Intel Arduino Kit, Go Robotics API and AWS IoT stack to build an application tha...
Jul. 25, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,001
SYS-CON Events announced today that LeaseWeb USA, a cloud Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) provider, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. LeaseWeb is one of the world's largest hosting brands. The company helps customers define, develop and deploy IT infrastructure tailored to their exact business needs, by combining various kinds cloud solutions.
Jul. 25, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,139
Whether your IoT service is connecting cars, homes, appliances, wearable, cameras or other devices, one question hangs in the balance – how do you actually make money from this service? The ability to turn your IoT service into profit requires the ability to create a monetization strategy that is flexible, scalable and working for you in real-time. It must be a transparent, smoothly implemented strategy that all stakeholders – from customers to the board – will be able to understand and comprehe...
Jul. 25, 2016 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,108
The cloud market growth today is largely in public clouds. While there is a lot of spend in IT departments in virtualization, these aren’t yet translating into a true “cloud” experience within the enterprise. What is stopping the growth of the “private cloud” market? In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Nara Rajagopalan, CEO of Accelerite, explored the challenges in deploying, managing, and getting adoption for a private cloud within an enterprise. What are the key differences between wh...
Jul. 25, 2016 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,015
SYS-CON Events announced today that Venafi, the Immune System for the Internet™ and the leading provider of Next Generation Trust Protection, will exhibit at @DevOpsSummit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Venafi is the Immune System for the Internet™ that protects the foundation of all cybersecurity – cryptographic keys and digital certificates – so they can’t be misused by bad guys in attacks...
Jul. 25, 2016 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,284
Large scale deployments present unique planning challenges, system commissioning hurdles between IT and OT and demand careful system hand-off orchestration. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Jeff Smith, Senior Director and a founding member of Incenergy, will discuss some of the key tactics to ensure delivery success based on his experience of the last two years deploying Industrial IoT systems across four continents.
Jul. 25, 2016 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,512
There will be new vendors providing applications, middleware, and connected devices to support the thriving IoT ecosystem. This essentially means that electronic device manufacturers will also be in the software business. Many will be new to building embedded software or robust software. This creates an increased importance on software quality, particularly within the Industrial Internet of Things where business-critical applications are becoming dependent on products controlled by software. Qua...
Jul. 25, 2016 05:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,386
SYS-CON Events has announced today that Roger Strukhoff has been named conference chair of Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo 2016 Silicon Valley. The 19th Cloud Expo and 6th @ThingsExpo will take place on November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. "The Internet of Things brings trillions of dollars of opportunity to developers and enterprise IT, no matter how you measure it," stated Roger Strukhoff. "More importantly, it leverages the power of devices and the Interne...
Jul. 25, 2016 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,023