|By Business Wire||
|December 13, 2012 09:30 AM EST||
Dell today announced new solutions, partnerships and services that enable customers to take advantage of major transformative forces in the data center, focusing specifically on the smooth migration to and management of converged, virtualized and cloud infrastructures. As of early 2012, 50 percent of all installed workloads were running VMs, so many of the easily virtualized workloads are already virtualized, according to Gartner1. As this number grows rapidly, Dell is accelerating its commitment to open innovation and scalable architectures to enable customers to reap the benefits.
“In an effort to drive IT simplicity, efficiency and predictability, enterprises are rapidly embracing converged, virtualized and cloud environments,” said Marius Haas, president of Enterprise Solutions Group, Dell. “Dell is helping businesses rethink their approach to the data center, to help them realize the full benefits of these trends. By combining Dell’s scalable design focus and powerful data center offerings with Dell’s enterprise software assets and services deployment philosophy, Dell is uniquely positioned to help customers build an open and flexible data center of the future.”
As part of Dell’s customer-inspired, end-to-end solutions vision, Dell is quickly building upon its recent announcement of Active Infrastructure, Dell’s family of converged infrastructure solutions. With the announcement of the first set of workload solution reference architectures certified, qualified and optimized for the Active System 800, Dell is giving IT organizations blueprints to deploy VDI and unified communications and collaboration applications essential to any organization. These workload solutions enable IT organizations to help businesses maximize workforce productivity, deliver faster and efficient results, and enable organizations to scale. The new workloads include:
- DVS Enterprise Active System 800 with Citrix XenDesktop Reference architecture
- DVS Enterprise Active System 800 with VMware View Reference architecture
- Microsoft Exchange 2010 Reference architecture
- Microsoft SharePoint 2010 Reference architecture
- Microsoft Lync 2010 Reference architecture
In addition, Dell expanded upon its vision for Active Infrastructure by sharing how it plans to continue to fill the gaps in the industry with intuitive, flexible and comprehensive converged infrastructure solutions for customers. By building upon scalable organic and acquired IP from Gale Technologies, Dell is creating broader business impact beyond the infrastructure to the applications and workloads that truly power businesses. Today, Dell is sharing three key elements of its Active Infrastructure vision, including:
- The ability to provision workloads in just a matter of hours after an Active System 800 arrives fully assembled and crated at the customer site2. Typically, deploying new IT services can take months, according to IDC3. Active System Manager enhanced with Gale Technologies IP would enable IT admins to not only rapidly provision physical infrastructure but also deploy either virtual clusters in an infrastructure-as-a-service manner or highly-available instances of common business workloads using standardized templates. The business benefits from improved IT responsiveness and faster return on investment.
- The integration of Dell Fluid Cache technology into Active Infrastructure. By introducing tier 0 storage in servers that is integrated with Dell’s Compellent storage array, Active Infrastructure customers could extend the benefits of virtualization to performance-sensitive, mission-critical applications.
- The flexibility to support select third-party platforms and integrate into existing infrastructure deployments and management frameworks. Future versions of Active System Manager enhanced with Gale Technologies IP would allow customers to support third-party platforms that are already deployed, helping save time, money, and creating a flexible, open, modern converged environment. Dell will also enable a broad ecosystem of partners for Active System Manager as well as provide a robust set of APIs to enable custom integrations with home-grown system management infrastructure.
With leading innovation in server density in the PowerEdge 12th generation portfolio, Dell’s year-over-year x86 server shipment growth outpaced the worldwide industry and the other two largest competitors, according to International Data Corporation’s (IDC) Q3 2012 Worldwide Quarterly Server Tracker. Dell is helping customers optimize their virtualized data centers with 376 percent more virtual machines per U of rack space than HP4. Enhancements to Dell OpenManage systems management solutions enable customers to take advantage of the advanced management capabilities inherent in Dell servers, storage and networking devices, with key benefits including:
- Simplified, remote management, with a time savings for a single system of up to 25 percent, that helps eliminate agent-based maintenance functions that rob IT resources of performance, power and productivity.
- Enhanced automation with the ability to capture system profiles and apply them to new systems to reduce repetitive manual tasks and operational expenses for deployment. “Time to deployment” improvements increases data center resource efficiency.
- Enhanced availability and security by decreasing service cycle down time, increasing problem identification and remediation. Dell SupportAssist, integrated with OpenManage Essentials, is a proactive capability that ensures maximum uptime by automatically transmitting troubleshooting information to Dell technical support, which in turn hastens resolution and parts replacement.
Cloud Storage, Open Source and Big Data Solutions
Dell announced new options for customers exploring various cloud storage options, and other new OpenStack-based products and Emerging Solutions Ecosystem partners to enable customers to take full advantage of open source cloud and big data solutions.
Dell is committed to giving customers choice with open, standards-based solutions. New choices for cloud storage include:
- In the cloud: Dell partners Ippany B.V. and Mezeo Software have certified solutions with Dell to enable secure and mobile corporate data collaboration via private cloud solutions, based on the Dell Fluid File System and Dell DX Object Storage Platform. These solutions give customers secure access to corporate data anywhere, and help support the growing demands of IT organizations looking to support BYOD (bring your own device) initiatives while protecting the security and availability of corporate data. Ippany B.V. and Mezeo Software are part of the growing Dell storage partner ecosystem that is certified to support a range of customer requirements for storage, data management and vertical applications.
- On-premise-to-cloud: For Dell customers using EqualLogic storage, and interested in exploring cloud storage, Dell plans to make available in 2013 an EqualLogic driver for Crowbar, the open source software framework developed by Dell to enable Dell storage with OpenStack clouds.
- Open source cloud: Inktank joined Dell’s Emerging Solutions Ecosystem, a partnership program designed to deliver complementary and interoperable hardware, software and services components. The Inktank partnership provides Dell customers with an additional cloud-based storage option compatible with the OpenStack-Powered Cloud Solution and based on the Ceph distributed storage system. Ceph is designed to enable scalable object, block and file system storage in a single cluster.
Dell is expanding its commitment to open innovation and support for its ecosystem of open partners:
- SUSE will join the Emerging Solutions Ecosystem, fully integrating Crowbar with SUSE Cloud, making it faster and easier for customers deploying OpenStack-based private clouds.
- Dell is building Crowbar 2.0, and engaging with this community to update this open source software framework, which enables customers to install cloud software across clusters and scale out systems quickly and automatically. Crowbar’s open source model is critical to Dell Enterprise Systems Group’s open innovation strategy.
- To accelerate customers’ journey to the cloud and to enable gathering insights from their big data, Dell and Intel have partnered to enable customer access to Dell’s Hadoop big data solutions and OpenStack-powered cloud solutions within Dell Solution Centers and Dell Modular Data Centers.
And, thanks to thousands of project Sputnik beta program applications from developers, Dell has introduced a client-to-cloud developer solution – the Dell XPS 13 laptop, Developer Edition. This project was the first from Dell’s innovation program, established to enable and fund innovation from anyone in the company. The second project from this incubation program, RIPTide, is a real-time analytics solution that can assemble relevant data sets – structured and unstructured – on-the-fly, using real-time data integration enabled by Dell Boomi and real-time business intelligence capabilities for reports, dashboards, analytics, and services for easy deployment with mid-market customers.
- The Ippany B.V. and Mezeo Software private cloud solutions certified with Dell storage are available today.
- The Active System 800 and Active System Manager are currently available in the U.S. and will be available globally in February 2013.
- The Active System 800 workloads solutions reference architectures are now available for VMware View, and Microsoft Exchange, SharePoint and Lync 2010. The workload solution reference architecture for Citrix XenDesktop will be available at the beginning of 2013.
- The new solutions and vision described for Active Infrastructure will roll out in the second half of 2013.
1 Gartner, Inc., Top Five Trends for x86 Server Virtualization, Thomas J. Bittman, March 22, 2012.
2 All Active System beta customers were able to deploy the solution within four hours of delivery.
3 According to the December 2011 IDC Converged Infrastructure Survey 2011: Out of the Clouds, Down to Earth, 57 percent of respondents said deploying new IT services can take more than 31 days. Of those respondents, 37 percent said it could take 91 to 180 days.
4 Comparisons based on February 2012 Principled Technologies extrapolation of 10U worth of Rack servers (5 servers x 4 VMs per server = 20 VMs per 10U or 2.0VMs/U) vs. 10U worth of Blade servers (16 servers x 6 VMs per server = 96 VMs per 10U or 9.6VMs/U)
Dell Inc. (NASDAQ: DELL) listens to customers and delivers innovative technology and services that give them the power to do more. For more information, visit www.dell.com.
Join us at Dell World 2012 – The Power to Do More. Technology professionals will learn from one another and identify key challenges and opportunities connected to the top forces changing business today. Learn more at www.dellworld.com, attend our virtual event at Dell World: Live Online or follow #DellWorld on Twitter.
Dell and PowerEdge are trademarks of Dell Inc. Dell disclaims any proprietary interest in the marks and names of others.
Machine Learning helps make complex systems more efficient. By applying advanced Machine Learning techniques such as Cognitive Fingerprinting, wind project operators can utilize these tools to learn from collected data, detect regular patterns, and optimize their own operations. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Stuart Gillen, Director of Business Development at SparkCognition, discussed how research has demonstrated the value of Machine Learning in delivering next generation analytics to impr...
Oct. 23, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 5,673
@ThingsExpo has been named the Top 5 Most Influential Internet of Things Brand by Onalytica in the ‘The Internet of Things Landscape 2015: Top 100 Individuals and Brands.' Onalytica analyzed Twitter conversations around the #IoT debate to uncover the most influential brands and individuals driving the conversation. Onalytica captured data from 56,224 users. The PageRank based methodology they use to extract influencers on a particular topic (tweets mentioning #InternetofThings or #IoT in this ...
Oct. 23, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 8,314
For basic one-to-one voice or video calling solutions, WebRTC has proven to be a very powerful technology. Although WebRTC’s core functionality is to provide secure, real-time p2p media streaming, leveraging native platform features and server-side components brings up new communication capabilities for web and native mobile applications, allowing for advanced multi-user use cases such as video broadcasting, conferencing, and media recording.
Oct. 23, 2016 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,091
Amazon has gradually rolled out parts of its IoT offerings, but these are just the tip of the iceberg. In addition to optimizing their backend AWS offerings, Amazon is laying the ground work to be a major force in IoT - especially in the connected home and office. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Kocher, founder and managing director of Grey Heron, explained how Amazon is extending its reach to become a major force in IoT by building on its dominant cloud IoT platform, its Dash Button strat...
Oct. 23, 2016 06:30 AM EDT Reads: 4,734
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftNet Solutions will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. SoftNet Solutions specializes in Enterprise Solutions for Hadoop and Big Data. It offers customers the most open, robust, and value-conscious portfolio of solutions, services, and tools for the shortest route to success with Big Data. The unique differentiator is the ability to architect and ...
Oct. 23, 2016 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 677
A critical component of any IoT project is what to do with all the data being generated. This data needs to be captured, processed, structured, and stored in a way to facilitate different kinds of queries. Traditional data warehouse and analytical systems are mature technologies that can be used to handle certain kinds of queries, but they are not always well suited to many problems, particularly when there is a need for real-time insights.
Oct. 23, 2016 05:30 AM EDT Reads: 3,919
DevOps is being widely accepted (if not fully adopted) as essential in enterprise IT. But as Enterprise DevOps gains maturity, expands scope, and increases velocity, the need for data-driven decisions across teams becomes more acute. DevOps teams in any modern business must wrangle the ‘digital exhaust’ from the delivery toolchain, "pervasive" and "cognitive" computing, APIs and services, mobile devices and applications, the Internet of Things, and now even blockchain. In this power panel at @...
Oct. 23, 2016 05:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,834
The best way to leverage your Cloud Expo presence as a sponsor and exhibitor is to plan your news announcements around our events. The press covering Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo will have access to these releases and will amplify your news announcements. More than two dozen Cloud companies either set deals at our shows or have announced their mergers and acquisitions at Cloud Expo. Product announcements during our show provide your company with the most reach through our targeted audiences.
Oct. 23, 2016 04:45 AM EDT Reads: 4,335
One of biggest questions about Big Data is “How do we harness all that information for business use quickly and effectively?” Geographic Information Systems (GIS) or spatial technology is about more than making maps, but adding critical context and meaning to data of all types, coming from all different channels – even sensors. In his session at @ThingsExpo, William (Bill) Meehan, director of utility solutions for Esri, will take a closer look at the current state of spatial technology and ar...
Oct. 23, 2016 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,694
Everyone knows that truly innovative companies learn as they go along, pushing boundaries in response to market changes and demands. What's more of a mystery is how to balance innovation on a fresh platform built from scratch with the legacy tech stack, product suite and customers that continue to serve as the business' foundation. In his General Session at 19th Cloud Expo, Michael Chambliss, Head of Engineering at ReadyTalk, will discuss why and how ReadyTalk diverted from healthy revenue an...
Oct. 23, 2016 03:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,952
SYS-CON Media announced today that @WebRTCSummit Blog, the largest WebRTC resource in the world, has been launched. @WebRTCSummit Blog offers top articles, news stories, and blog posts from the world's well-known experts and guarantees better exposure for its authors than any other publication. @WebRTCSummit Blog can be bookmarked ▸ Here @WebRTCSummit conference site can be bookmarked ▸ Here
Oct. 23, 2016 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 9,650
SYS-CON Events announced today that Streamlyzer will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Streamlyzer is a powerful analytics for video streaming service that enables video streaming providers to monitor and analyze QoE (Quality-of-Experience) from end-user devices in real time.
Oct. 23, 2016 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 941
You have great SaaS business app ideas. You want to turn your idea quickly into a functional and engaging proof of concept. You need to be able to modify it to meet customers' needs, and you need to deliver a complete and secure SaaS application. How could you achieve all the above and yet avoid unforeseen IT requirements that add unnecessary cost and complexity? You also want your app to be responsive in any device at any time. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Mark Allen, General Manager of...
Oct. 23, 2016 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 851
In past @ThingsExpo presentations, Joseph di Paolantonio has explored how various Internet of Things (IoT) and data management and analytics (DMA) solution spaces will come together as sensor analytics ecosystems. This year, in his session at @ThingsExpo, Joseph di Paolantonio from DataArchon, will be adding the numerous Transportation areas, from autonomous vehicles to “Uber for containers.” While IoT data in any one area of Transportation will have a huge impact in that area, combining sensor...
Oct. 23, 2016 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 657
Almost everyone sees the potential of Internet of Things but how can businesses truly unlock that potential. The key will be in the ability to discover business insight in the midst of an ocean of Big Data generated from billions of embedded devices via Systems of Discover. Businesses will also need to ensure that they can sustain that insight by leveraging the cloud for global reach, scale and elasticity.
Oct. 23, 2016 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 10,963
The security needs of IoT environments require a strong, proven approach to maintain security, trust and privacy in their ecosystem. Assurance and protection of device identity, secure data encryption and authentication are the key security challenges organizations are trying to address when integrating IoT devices. This holds true for IoT applications in a wide range of industries, for example, healthcare, consumer devices, and manufacturing. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Lancen LaChance, vic...
Oct. 23, 2016 01:30 AM EDT Reads: 3,661
Cloud based infrastructure deployment is becoming more and more appealing to customers, from Fortune 500 companies to SMEs due to its pay-as-you-go model. Enterprise storage vendors are able to reach out to these customers by integrating in cloud based deployments; this needs adaptability and interoperability of the products confirming to cloud standards such as OpenStack, CloudStack, or Azure. As compared to off the shelf commodity storage, enterprise storages by its reliability, high-availabil...
Oct. 23, 2016 01:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,051
In the next forty months – just over three years – businesses will undergo extraordinary changes. The exponential growth of digitization and machine learning will see a step function change in how businesses create value, satisfy customers, and outperform their competition. In the next forty months companies will take the actions that will see them get to the next level of the game called Capitalism. Or they won’t – game over. The winners of today and tomorrow think differently, follow different...
Oct. 23, 2016 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 897
The IoT industry is now at a crossroads, between the fast-paced innovation of technologies and the pending mass adoption by global enterprises. The complexity of combining rapidly evolving technologies and the need to establish practices for market acceleration pose a strong challenge to global enterprises as well as IoT vendors. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Clark Smith, senior product manager for Numerex, will discuss how Numerex, as an experienced, established IoT provider, has embraced a ...
Oct. 23, 2016 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,002
SYS-CON Events announced today that Super Micro Computer, Inc., a global leader in Embedded and IoT solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Supermicro (NASDAQ: SMCI), the leading innovator in high-performance, high-efficiency server technology, is a premier provider of advanced server Building Block Solutions® for Data Center, Cloud Computing, Enterprise IT, Hadoop/Big Data, HPC and ...
Oct. 23, 2016 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 3,552