|By Bob Gourley||
|January 11, 2013 04:54 PM EST||
With this post we dive deeper into technology trends associated with consumer IT, especially mobility in 2013.
These flow from our earlier overview of the seven shapers of technology in 2013, but have a bit more fidelity. We offer some predictions on how we see the mobile and technology world over the next year.
These 11 key tech predictions are:
- MVNOs will take off (big time) – As I wrote here, I believe that MVNOs will take off big time with regular consumers. While they won’t reach the heights of AT&T/Sprint/T-Mobile/Verizon in terms of market saturation, they will grow in popularity and adoption.
- 5″ will be the standard size for Android devices - The more I use a smartphone (including those of different sizes), the more I believe that 5″ is the proper size for a smartphone (with a thin bezel of course). While devices such as the Galaxy Note and the new Huawei Ascend are often ridiculed, they have pushed ordinary smartphones to get bigger. The new HTC Droid DNA is this perfect size (5″ w/ a 1080p screen) and might be the blueprint for future phones.
- 1080p screens will be universal on (upscale) smartphones – While manufacturers will woefully continue to pump out “bargain” smartphones, all of the real smartphones will have 1080p screens or better. As smartphone graphics processing increases, 1080p becomes possible (and will be everywhere).
- Windows 8 (Mobile/RT/Pro) will all gain a great deal of marketshare (especially in the tablet/PC world) but won’t make a large dent in smartphone sales - The Surface tablet was a flop, but as Windows 8 RT/Pro tablets are rolling out, some of them have feature sets which are amazing and innovative. As well, the allure of touch screen laptops is undeniable. However, I have yet to see anything about Windows Phone 8 or any handset which interests me.
- We are all going to the cloud (no really) even if you don’t know it - All the major providers are moving people directly to the cloud, whether or not they notice. However, this will become more and more evident (and pervasive) this year. Users will be forced to realize most of their data is in the cloud (and may even welcome using it). Using the cloud to sync has made it far simpler for me to move across devices (and it’s not hard either!).
- 7/8″ tablets will replace 10″ as the de facto standard for tablets - The smaller form factor (7/8″) has quickly replaced the larger as the most desired. The Nexus 7 has sold millions of devices since it was released in July, and the iPad Mini was the hottest Christmas present this past season. These smaller tablets have to be less expensive than the 10″ versions, yet still (almost) as powerful. People like these pocketable, handheld and reading friendly devices, and are demonstrating this with their wallets.
- Post-PC is a farce – If you need a PC, no tablet will really replace it. In the past, people over-used PCs for roles they were needed. Commoditized hardware allows people to pick and choose the hardware to suit their needs. We will still need PCs for photo-editing, true content creation and more, but we are now realizing we don’t need PCs for everything. This does not diminish the need of true PCs, just that we finally have the ability to purchase devices to fit (almost) any and all needs.
- Mobile Payments are gonna be big - The Starbucks card is the best example of solid mobile payments working out, but when OEMs and carriers can’t agree (on anything) and one of the most popular smartphones (iPhone) does not have NFC, mobile payments need to get creative. We have mobile tickets and more, but I believe this is the year mobile payments (maybe all linked to store cards) go big.
- Smart TVs fail, but Smart Boxes win - Much like Android skins, OEMs are throwing (somewhat) unnecessary skins on top of their TVs, just to differentiate them. It is unlikely that anyone purchases a TV based on the skins alone. Most TV last for years, 5 to ten even, but their GUIs will not be supported for that long. Smart Boxes, such as the Roku/Apple TV/Google TV are all great (and inexpensive) solutions, that are supported by both 1st and 3rd party developers.
- 11/12″ Tablets grow - This is the mix of Windows 8 success and OEMs willing to break the Apple mold. When you think about it, 10″ is just somewhat unwieldy. It is sometimes too big, sometimes too small, but rarely quite right. The larger tablets will find their hands in people who have to create content, and do it on the go.
- Big data will come to the consumer - Currently, big data is the province of enterprises and researchers, but not forever. This year, small businesses and individual users may find value in using big data solutions (which grow more elegant each year) for small data or medium data needs.
So these are my top predictions, what are yours?
SYS-CON Events announced today that EastBanc Technologies will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. EastBanc Technologies has been working at the frontier of technology since 1999. Today, the firm provides full-lifecycle software development delivering flexible technology solutions that seamlessly integrate with existing systems – whether on premise or cloud. EastBanc Technologies partners with p...
Jun. 1, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,514
SYS-CON Events announced today that MangoApps will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. MangoApps provides modern company intranets and team collaboration software, allowing workers to stay connected and productive from anywhere in the world and from any device. For more information, please visit https://www.mangoapps.com/.
Jun. 1, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,250
SYS-CON Events announced today that Super Micro Computer, Inc., a global leader in Embedded and IoT solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Supermicro (NASDAQ: SMCI), the leading innovator in high-performance, high-efficiency server technology, is a premier provider of advanced server Building Block Solutions® for Data Center, Cloud Computing, Enterprise IT, Hadoop/Big Data, HPC and ...
May. 31, 2016 11:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,049
18th Cloud Expo, taking place June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterprises are using some...
May. 31, 2016 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,351
SYS-CON Events announced today that IBM Cloud Data Services has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. IBM Cloud Data Services offers a portfolio of integrated, best-of-breed cloud data services for developers focused on mobile computing and analytics use cases.
May. 31, 2016 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,842
SYS-CON Events announced today Object Management Group® has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
May. 31, 2016 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,771
Cloud computing delivers on-demand resources that provide businesses with flexibility and cost-savings. The challenge in moving workloads to the cloud has been the cost and complexity of ensuring the initial and ongoing security and regulatory (PCI, HIPAA, FFIEC) compliance across private and public clouds. Manual security compliance is slow, prone to human error, and represents over 50% of the cost of managing cloud applications. Determining how to automate cloud security compliance is critical...
May. 31, 2016 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,139
The Internet of Things (IoT) is growing rapidly by extending current technologies, products and networks. By 2020, Cisco estimates there will be 50 billion connected devices. Gartner has forecast revenues of over $300 billion, just to IoT suppliers. Now is the time to figure out how you’ll make money – not just create innovative products. With hundreds of new products and companies jumping into the IoT fray every month, there’s no shortage of innovation. Despite this, McKinsey/VisionMobile data...
May. 31, 2016 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,921
WebRTC is bringing significant change to the communications landscape that will bridge the worlds of web and telephony, making the Internet the new standard for communications. Cloud9 took the road less traveled and used WebRTC to create a downloadable enterprise-grade communications platform that is changing the communication dynamic in the financial sector. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Leo Papadopoulos, CTO of Cloud9, will discuss the importance of WebRTC and how it enables companies to fo...
May. 31, 2016 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,673
"What we see what happens when you have a completely networked society and the potential to now drive the value creation and the collaboration and the ecosystems that are possible when you start to be able to connect people and industries together in ways that have never been possible before," explained Esmeralda Swartz, VP of Marketing Enterprise & Cloud at Ericsson, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
May. 31, 2016 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,927
SYS-CON Events announced today that ContentMX, the marketing technology and services company with a singular mission to increase engagement and drive more conversations for enterprise, channel and SMB technology marketers, has been named “Sponsor & Exhibitor Lounge Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York. “CloudExpo is a great opportunity to start a conversation with new prospects, but what happens after the...
May. 31, 2016 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,513
The IoT is changing the way enterprises conduct business. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Hoffman, Vice President at EastBanc Technologies, discuss how businesses can gain an edge over competitors by empowering consumers to take control through IoT. We'll cite examples such as a Washington, D.C.-based sports club that leveraged IoT and the cloud to develop a comprehensive booking system. He'll also highlight how IoT can revitalize and restore outdated business models, making them profitable...
May. 31, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,162
Customer experience has become a competitive differentiator for companies, and it’s imperative that brands seamlessly connect the customer journey across all platforms. With the continued explosion of IoT, join us for a look at how to build a winning digital foundation in the connected era – today and in the future. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Nguyen, Group Product Marketing Manager at Adobe, will discuss how to successfully leverage mobile, rapidly deploy content, capture real-time d...
May. 31, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,817
What a difference a year makes. Organizations aren’t just talking about IoT possibilities, it is now baked into their core business strategy. With IoT, billions of devices generating data from different companies on different networks around the globe need to interact. From efficiency to better customer insights to completely new business models, IoT will turn traditional business models upside down. In the new customer-centric age, the key to success is delivering critical services and apps wit...
May. 31, 2016 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,436
As cloud and storage projections continue to rise, the number of organizations moving to the cloud is escalating and it is clear cloud storage is here to stay. However, is it secure? Data is the lifeblood for government entities, countries, cloud service providers and enterprises alike and losing or exposing that data can have disastrous results. There are new concepts for data storage on the horizon that will deliver secure solutions for storing and moving sensitive data around the world. ...
May. 31, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,526
Join us at Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo 2016 – June 7-9 at the Javits Center in New York City and November 1-3 at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – and deliver your unique message in a way that is striking and unforgettable by taking advantage of SYS-CON's unmatched high-impact, result-driven event / media packages.
May. 31, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,648
In his keynote at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Keys, Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise, will provide an overview of the evolution of the Internet and the Database and the future of their combination – the Blockchain. Andrew Keys is Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise. He comes to ConsenSys Enterprise with capital markets, technology and entrepreneurial experience. Previously, he worked for UBS investment bank in equities analysis. Later, he was responsible for the creation and distribution of life ...
May. 31, 2016 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,154
SYS-CON Events announced today that MobiDev will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. MobiDev is a software company that develops and delivers turn-key mobile apps, websites, web services, and complex software systems for startups and enterprises. Since 2009 it has grown from a small group of passionate engineers and business managers to a full-scale mobile software company with over 200 develope...
May. 31, 2016 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,959
SoftLayer operates a global cloud infrastructure platform built for Internet scale. With a global footprint of data centers and network points of presence, SoftLayer provides infrastructure as a service to leading-edge customers ranging from Web startups to global enterprises. SoftLayer's modular architecture, full-featured API, and sophisticated automation provide unparalleled performance and control. Its flexible unified platform seamlessly spans physical and virtual devices linked via a world...
May. 31, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,465
SYS-CON Events announced today that BMC Software has been named "Siver Sponsor" of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2015 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. BMC is a global leader in innovative software solutions that help businesses transform into digital enterprises for the ultimate competitive advantage. BMC Digital Enterprise Management is a set of innovative IT solutions designed to make digital business fast, seamless, and optimized from mainframe to mo...
May. 31, 2016 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,438