|By Business Wire||
|January 30, 2013 03:27 AM EST||
Lenovo Group today reported results for its third fiscal quarter ended December 31, 2012. In its best quarter ever, Lenovo continued to outgrow the market in all geographies with record sales, pre-tax income and earnings. Lenovo continued its push towards becoming the world’s leading PC maker and emerging global leader in PC Plus devices, with another quarterly sales record of $9.4 billion, an 12 percent year-over-year increase.
For 13 consecutive quarters, Lenovo has been the fastest growing major PC company. Lenovo was also recognized by IDC as the world’s third largest maker of “smart connected devices,” such as tablets, PCs and smartphones. At the same time, Lenovo had another quarter of record pre-tax income at US$246 million, demonstrating that such rapid growth is being achieved while profits increase.
Lenovo’s third quarter earnings were also a record at US$205 million, an increase of 34 percent over the last year, with gross margin at 11.8 percent. Gross profit for the third fiscal quarter increased 15 percent year-over-year, to US$1.1 billion, while operating profit for the third quarter was US$243 million, a 26 percent increase year-over-year. Basic earnings per share for the third fiscal quarter was 1.99 US cents, or 15.42 HK cents. Net cash reserves as of December 31, 2012, totaled US$4.2 billion.
The Company’s ‘Protect and Attack’ strategy – protecting the two profit pools of global commercial PC and the China businesses, while attacking three high growth opportunities in emerging markets, global consumer and PC Plus products, such as smartphones, tablets and smart TVs – continued to deliver results. This quarter, Attack businesses delivered 50 percent of the Company’s revenues, a significant increase from four years ago when the Company first launched the strategy and attack revenues were 32 percent. Further demonstrating the Company’s balance, its Mobile Internet and Digital Home (MIDH) revenues, which includes its smartphone, tablet and smart TV businesses, accounted for a record 11 percent of Company revenue this quarter, up 77 percent year over year. And for the first time, its smartphone business in China became profitable.
During the third fiscal quarter, Lenovo’s worldwide PC shipments grew 7.9 percent to an all time high of 15.9 percent* marketshare, in a difficult market that was down 7.8 percent year-over-year. This was the 15th quarter in a row the Company grew faster than the industry. Lenovo gained share points in every geography and every product category and in every respective customer segment.
While the Company’s organic growth continues to drive the majority of its success, shareholders should note that Lenovo has closed the joint venture and acquisitions announced in the previous two quarters, including its strategic partnership with EMC that includes a joint venture in EMC’s Iomega business; its acquisition of CCE, a leading PC+company in Brazil, and its acquisition of Stoneware, a US-based cloud computing company. Further, the Company reports that integration of all mergers and acquisitions transactions announced in the last three years are well on-track, and in many cases ahead of schedule.
Lenovo recently realigned its product development and supply chain organizations to create two new groups: the Lenovo Business Group, which will focus on mainstream PCs, mobile internet and digital home products; and the Think Business Group, which will focus on Think-branded products targeting high-end consumers and enterprises. Today, Lenovo is twice as large and much more diverse than it was when its existing structure was established over four years ago. That structure was ideal in supporting Lenovo’s business when it was mostly focused on its China PC and global commercial PC business. Today, the Company has built strong consumer, mobile and emerging markets businesses globally, so the change was proactively initiated to drive continued performance across all of these businesses, stay ahead of consumer demands, while driving speed, agility and innovation.
The recently concluded Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas continued to show that innovation is a significant competitive advantage and future growth driver for Lenovo. The Company was recognized with a record 50 awards at CES, including several “Best in Show” acknowledgments. A robust pipeline of innovative products including the IdeaCentre Horizon - a 27-inch table top PC; ThinkPad Helix - Lenovo’s latest convertible PC designed for business professionals; and the Intel-powered, K900 smartphone are well positioned to continue to stoke new customer demand and drive Lenovo’s performance.
"With the strong execution of our 'Protect and Attack' strategy, Lenovo has not only achieved record revenue, profit and global PC market share last quarter, but also our smartphone and tablet businesses have delivered hyper growth. Even more, our worldwide tablet and China smartphone businesses have become profitable," said Yang Yuanqing, chairman and CEO, Lenovo Group. "As we continue into the PC Plus era, Lenovo has already laid a solid foundation. Our new organization will provide the structure to elevate our diversified business and drive it to the next level. We are confident that we can win through differentiation and will be the innovation leader in the PC Plus era."
- Lenovo China achieved US$4.1 billion in consolidated sales in the third fiscal quarter, an increase of 17 percent year-over-year, accounting for 43 percent of the Company’s worldwide sales. Lenovo’s PC Plus strategy fueled outstanding performance in China with 83 percent MIDH revenue growth and a revenue contribution in China of 22 percent. The Company achieved an important milestone with China smartphone achieving profitability for the first time. Lenovo grew its number-one PC market share position in China, the world’s largest PC market, to 36.7 percent, up 1.4 points year-over-year. Lenovo’s PC shipments in China grew two percent year-over-year in the quarter, a solid result given that the overall China PC market was down two percent.
- In the Asia Pacific/Latin America region, Lenovo achieved 11.3 percent market share in the third fiscal quarter, up marginally year-over-year. In a PC market that was down nine percent year-over-year, the Company grew its PC shipments across the region by four percent. Lenovo continued its run as the leading PC vendor in Japan. Consolidated sales across the region totaled US$1.7 billion for 18 percent of Lenovo’s worldwide sales, while operating margins continued to be profitable.
- Lenovo in Europe Middle East & Africa grew PC shipments by 25.5 percent and became the second largest PC seller in this region, with 11 percent market share, an increase of 3.2 share points year-over-year. This was the Company’s first ever quarter to reach the number two position in the region. These achievements were made despite the headwind of overall industry decline in shipments of 11 percent across the region. The Company had consolidated sales in the third quarter of US$2.3 billion, a year-over-year improvement of 17 percent, good for 25 percent of Lenovo’s total worldwide sales.
- Lenovo’s PC shipments in North America in the third fiscal quarter increased 11 percent year-over-year, in a market that fell by about seven percent. In this environment, the Company gained 1.5 share points to a record high market share of nine percent. Consolidated sales grew eight percent year-over-year to US$1.3 billion in the third quarter, or 14 percent of Lenovo’s total worldwide sales. Also, for the first time in North America, Lenovo made significant inroads into the high-end consumer space, taking a large slice of sales of Windows 8 powered convertible devices – including 30 percent share of the US$700-and-above market and 45 percent share of the US$900-and-above market.
- In Laptop PCs, the Company’s worldwide shipments during the third fiscal quarter were up 9.5 percent year-over-year, helping Lenovo gain 2.6 share points and achieve market share of 15.8 percent. Across the industry, laptop shipments were down 8.6 percent year-over-year. Lenovo’s laptop computers continued to be the largest contributor to the Company’s sales worldwide, generating 52 percent of Lenovo’s total sales revenue. Consolidated sales for Lenovo’s laptop PC business worldwide in the third fiscal quarter totaled US$4.8 billion, an increase of eight percent year-over-year. During the third quarter, Lenovo took the industry by storm, announcing a new family of convertible devices, touch optimized for Windows 8: the 11” and 13” Yogas, IdeaPad Lynx and ThinkPad Twist. Lenovo also announced ThinkPad X1 Carbon Touch, adding touch experience to the industry’s leading business-class Ultrabook, and ThinkPad Twist, a business-ready device that puts a new spin on the traditional convertible tablet.
- Lenovo’s consolidated sales of Desktop PCs worldwide increased one percent year-over-year in the third fiscal quarter to US$2.8 billion, or 30 percent of Lenovo’s total sales revenue. The Company’s desktop PC shipments worldwide in the third quarter increased 5.8 percent year-over-year worldwide, compared to an overall industry decrease of 6.8 percent. As a result, Lenovo gained 1.9 share points year-over-year and achieved a record-high market share of 16.1 percent. During the third quarter, Lenovo announced its new IdeaCentre Q190, the world’s smallest full-function desktop PC – measuring just 22mm (0.86 inches) wide – and the latest additions to the C-series all-in-one (AIO) family, featuring affordable, but powerful performance, and multimedia capabilities designed for immersive entertainment.
- As China’s second-largest provider of smartphones and tablets, Lenovo’s MIDH group continues to rapidly build its business. With consolidated sales of US$998 million, a 77 percent year-over-year increase in the third fiscal quarter, MIDH contributed 11 percent to the Company’s overall sales. Year over year, Lenovo gained 4.7 share points in the China smartphone market in the third quarter for an overall market share of 12.3 percent in China. This business achieved profitability as well. During the third quarter, Lenovo announced that it would begin selling smartphones in Russia, in addition to previously announced India, Indonesia, Philippines and Vietnam. These five countries plus China, represent 44 percent of the world’s population, and give Lenovo a strong sales presence in these important emerging economies.
Lenovo (HKSE: 0992) (PINK SHEETS: LNVGY) is a US$30 billion personal technology company – one of the top two PC makers in the world and an emerging PC Plus leader – serving customers in more than 160 countries. Dedicated to building exceptionally engineered PCs and mobile internet devices, Lenovo’s business is built on product innovation, a highly-efficient global supply chain and strong strategic execution. Formed by Lenovo Group’s acquisition of the former IBM Personal Computing Division, the Company develops, manufactures and markets reliable, high-quality, secure and easy-to-use technology products and services. Its product lines include legendary Think-branded commercial PCs and Idea-branded consumer PCs, as well as servers, workstations, and a family of mobile internet devices, including tablets and smart phones. Lenovo, a global Fortune 500 company, has major research centers in Yamato, Japan; Beijing, Shanghai and Shenzhen, China; and Raleigh, North Carolina. For more information see www.lenovo.com.
*See IDC data, 4Q 2012
For the third quarter ended December 31, 2012
(in US$ millions, except per share data)
|Gross Profit Margin||11.8||%||11.4||%||
|Other Non-Operating Expenses||3||(1||)||NA|
|Profit for the period||200||154||30||%|
|Profit attributable to equity holders||205||153||34||%|
|EPS (US cents)|
Silver Spring Networks, Inc. (NYSE: SSNI) extended its Internet of Things technology platform with performance enhancements to Gen5 – its fifth generation critical infrastructure networking platform. Already delivering nearly 23 million devices on five continents as one of the leading networking providers in the market, Silver Spring announced it is doubling the maximum speed of its Gen5 network to up to 2.4 Mbps, increasing computational performance by 10x, supporting simultaneous mesh communic...
Feb. 13, 2016 05:00 AM EST
Eighty percent of a data scientist’s time is spent gathering and cleaning up data, and 80% of all data is unstructured and almost never analyzed. Cognitive computing, in combination with Big Data, is changing the equation by creating data reservoirs and using natural language processing to enable analysis of unstructured data sources. This is impacting every aspect of the analytics profession from how data is mined (and by whom) to how it is delivered. This is not some futuristic vision: it's ha...
Feb. 13, 2016 04:45 AM EST Reads: 465
The cloud promises new levels of agility and cost-savings for Big Data, data warehousing and analytics. But it’s challenging to understand all the options – from IaaS and PaaS to newer services like HaaS (Hadoop as a Service) and BDaaS (Big Data as a Service). In her session at @BigDataExpo at @ThingsExpo, Hannah Smalltree, a director at Cazena, will provide an educational overview of emerging “as-a-service” options for Big Data in the cloud. This is critical background for IT and data profes...
Feb. 13, 2016 03:45 AM EST Reads: 243
One of the bewildering things about DevOps is integrating the massive toolchain including the dozens of new tools that seem to crop up every year. Part of DevOps is Continuous Delivery and having a complex toolchain can add additional integration and setup to your developer environment. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 18th Cloud Expo, Miko Matsumura, Chief Marketing Officer of Gradle Inc., will discuss which tools to use in a developer stack, how to provision the toolchain to minimize onboa...
Feb. 12, 2016 09:00 PM EST Reads: 136
Companies can harness IoT and predictive analytics to sustain business continuity; predict and manage site performance during emergencies; minimize expensive reactive maintenance; and forecast equipment and maintenance budgets and expenditures. Providing cost-effective, uninterrupted service is challenging, particularly for organizations with geographically dispersed operations.
Feb. 12, 2016 06:00 PM EST
SYS-CON Events announced today that Interoute, owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2015 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Interoute is the owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform which encompasses 12 data centers, 14 virtual data centers and 31 colocation centers, with connections to 195 ad...
Feb. 12, 2016 04:15 PM EST Reads: 432
Join us at Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo 2016 – June 7-9 at the Javits Center in New York City and November 1-3 at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – and deliver your unique message in a way that is striking and unforgettable by taking advantage of SYS-CON's unmatched high-impact, result-driven event / media packages.
Feb. 12, 2016 03:00 PM EST
There will be new vendors providing applications, middleware, and connected devices to support the thriving IoT ecosystem. This essentially means that electronic device manufacturers will also be in the software business. Many will be new to building embedded software or robust software. This creates an increased importance on software quality, particularly within the Industrial Internet of Things where business-critical applications are becoming dependent on products controlled by software. Qua...
Feb. 12, 2016 02:15 PM EST
SYS-CON Events announced today that Commvault, a global leader in enterprise data protection and information management, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Commvault is a leading provider of data protection and information management...
Feb. 12, 2016 02:15 PM EST Reads: 457
With an estimated 50 billion devices connected to the Internet by 2020, several industries will begin to expand their capabilities for retaining end point data at the edge to better utilize the range of data types and sheer volume of M2M data generated by the Internet of Things. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Don DeLoach, CEO and President of Infobright, will discuss the infrastructures businesses will need to implement to handle this explosion of data by providing specific use cases for filte...
Feb. 12, 2016 01:00 PM EST Reads: 238
SYS-CON Events announced today that Pythian, a global IT services company specializing in helping companies adopt disruptive technologies to optimize revenue-generating systems, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2015 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Founded in 1997, Pythian is a global IT services company that helps companies compete by adopting disruptive technologies such as cloud, Big Data, advanced analytics, and DevO...
Feb. 12, 2016 12:30 PM EST Reads: 269
SYS-CON Events announced today that Avere Systems, a leading provider of enterprise storage for the hybrid cloud, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Avere delivers a more modern architectural approach to storage that doesn’t require the overprovisioning of storage capacity to achieve performance, overspending on expensive storage media for inactive data or the overbuilding of data centers ...
Feb. 12, 2016 12:30 PM EST Reads: 124
SYS-CON Events announced today that Alert Logic, Inc., the leading provider of Security-as-a-Service solutions for the cloud, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Alert Logic, Inc., provides Security-as-a-Service for on-premises, cloud, and hybrid infrastructures, delivering deep security insight and continuous protection for customers at a lower cost than traditional security solutions. Ful...
Feb. 12, 2016 11:45 AM EST Reads: 460
Fortunately, meaningful and tangible business cases for IoT are plentiful in a broad array of industries and vertical markets. These range from simple warranty cost reduction for capital intensive assets, to minimizing downtime for vital business tools, to creating feedback loops improving product design, to improving and enhancing enterprise customer experiences. All of these business cases, which will be briefly explored in this session, hinge on cost effectively extracting relevant data from ...
Feb. 12, 2016 11:15 AM EST Reads: 147
SYS-CON Events announced today that iDevices®, the preeminent brand in the connected home industry, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. iDevices, the preeminent brand in the connected home industry, has a growing line of HomeKit-enabled products available at the largest retailers worldwide. Through the “Designed with iDevices” co-development program and its custom-built IoT Cloud Infrastruc...
Feb. 12, 2016 10:00 AM EST Reads: 137
As enterprises work to take advantage of Big Data technologies, they frequently become distracted by product-level decisions. In most new Big Data builds this approach is completely counter-productive: it presupposes tools that may not be a fit for development teams, forces IT to take on the burden of evaluating and maintaining unfamiliar technology, and represents a major up-front expense. In his session at @BigDataExpo at @ThingsExpo, Andrew Warfield, CTO and Co-Founder of Coho Data, will dis...
Feb. 12, 2016 09:30 AM EST Reads: 225
The Quantified Economy represents the total global addressable market (TAM) for IoT that, according to a recent IDC report, will grow to an unprecedented $1.3 trillion by 2019. With this the third wave of the Internet-global proliferation of connected devices, appliances and sensors is poised to take off in 2016. In his session at @ThingsExpo, David McLauchlan, CEO and co-founder of Buddy Platform, will discuss how the ability to access and analyze the massive volume of streaming data from mil...
Feb. 12, 2016 09:00 AM EST
WebSocket is effectively a persistent and fat pipe that is compatible with a standard web infrastructure; a "TCP for the Web." If you think of WebSocket in this light, there are other more hugely interesting applications of WebSocket than just simply sending data to a browser. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Frank Greco, Director of Technology for Kaazing Corporation, will compare other modern web connectivity methods such as HTTP/2, HTTP Streaming, Server-Sent Events and new W3C event APIs ...
Feb. 12, 2016 09:00 AM EST
SYS-CON Events announced today that Men & Mice, the leading global provider of DNS, DHCP and IP address management overlay solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. The Men & Mice Suite overlay solution is already known for its powerful application in heterogeneous operating environments, enabling enterprises to scale without fuss. Building on a solid range of diverse platform support,...
Feb. 12, 2016 06:00 AM EST Reads: 261
With the Apple Watch making its way onto wrists all over the world, it’s only a matter of time before it becomes a staple in the workplace. In fact, Forrester reported that 68 percent of technology and business decision-makers characterize wearables as a top priority for 2015. Recognizing their business value early on, FinancialForce.com was the first to bring ERP to wearables, helping streamline communication across front and back office functions. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Kevin Roberts...
Feb. 12, 2016 12:45 AM EST Reads: 418