|By Business Wire||
|January 30, 2013 03:27 AM EST||
Lenovo Group today reported results for its third fiscal quarter ended December 31, 2012. In its best quarter ever, Lenovo continued to outgrow the market in all geographies with record sales, pre-tax income and earnings. Lenovo continued its push towards becoming the world’s leading PC maker and emerging global leader in PC Plus devices, with another quarterly sales record of $9.4 billion, an 12 percent year-over-year increase.
For 13 consecutive quarters, Lenovo has been the fastest growing major PC company. Lenovo was also recognized by IDC as the world’s third largest maker of “smart connected devices,” such as tablets, PCs and smartphones. At the same time, Lenovo had another quarter of record pre-tax income at US$246 million, demonstrating that such rapid growth is being achieved while profits increase.
Lenovo’s third quarter earnings were also a record at US$205 million, an increase of 34 percent over the last year, with gross margin at 11.8 percent. Gross profit for the third fiscal quarter increased 15 percent year-over-year, to US$1.1 billion, while operating profit for the third quarter was US$243 million, a 26 percent increase year-over-year. Basic earnings per share for the third fiscal quarter was 1.99 US cents, or 15.42 HK cents. Net cash reserves as of December 31, 2012, totaled US$4.2 billion.
The Company’s ‘Protect and Attack’ strategy – protecting the two profit pools of global commercial PC and the China businesses, while attacking three high growth opportunities in emerging markets, global consumer and PC Plus products, such as smartphones, tablets and smart TVs – continued to deliver results. This quarter, Attack businesses delivered 50 percent of the Company’s revenues, a significant increase from four years ago when the Company first launched the strategy and attack revenues were 32 percent. Further demonstrating the Company’s balance, its Mobile Internet and Digital Home (MIDH) revenues, which includes its smartphone, tablet and smart TV businesses, accounted for a record 11 percent of Company revenue this quarter, up 77 percent year over year. And for the first time, its smartphone business in China became profitable.
During the third fiscal quarter, Lenovo’s worldwide PC shipments grew 7.9 percent to an all time high of 15.9 percent* marketshare, in a difficult market that was down 7.8 percent year-over-year. This was the 15th quarter in a row the Company grew faster than the industry. Lenovo gained share points in every geography and every product category and in every respective customer segment.
While the Company’s organic growth continues to drive the majority of its success, shareholders should note that Lenovo has closed the joint venture and acquisitions announced in the previous two quarters, including its strategic partnership with EMC that includes a joint venture in EMC’s Iomega business; its acquisition of CCE, a leading PC+company in Brazil, and its acquisition of Stoneware, a US-based cloud computing company. Further, the Company reports that integration of all mergers and acquisitions transactions announced in the last three years are well on-track, and in many cases ahead of schedule.
Lenovo recently realigned its product development and supply chain organizations to create two new groups: the Lenovo Business Group, which will focus on mainstream PCs, mobile internet and digital home products; and the Think Business Group, which will focus on Think-branded products targeting high-end consumers and enterprises. Today, Lenovo is twice as large and much more diverse than it was when its existing structure was established over four years ago. That structure was ideal in supporting Lenovo’s business when it was mostly focused on its China PC and global commercial PC business. Today, the Company has built strong consumer, mobile and emerging markets businesses globally, so the change was proactively initiated to drive continued performance across all of these businesses, stay ahead of consumer demands, while driving speed, agility and innovation.
The recently concluded Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas continued to show that innovation is a significant competitive advantage and future growth driver for Lenovo. The Company was recognized with a record 50 awards at CES, including several “Best in Show” acknowledgments. A robust pipeline of innovative products including the IdeaCentre Horizon - a 27-inch table top PC; ThinkPad Helix - Lenovo’s latest convertible PC designed for business professionals; and the Intel-powered, K900 smartphone are well positioned to continue to stoke new customer demand and drive Lenovo’s performance.
"With the strong execution of our 'Protect and Attack' strategy, Lenovo has not only achieved record revenue, profit and global PC market share last quarter, but also our smartphone and tablet businesses have delivered hyper growth. Even more, our worldwide tablet and China smartphone businesses have become profitable," said Yang Yuanqing, chairman and CEO, Lenovo Group. "As we continue into the PC Plus era, Lenovo has already laid a solid foundation. Our new organization will provide the structure to elevate our diversified business and drive it to the next level. We are confident that we can win through differentiation and will be the innovation leader in the PC Plus era."
- Lenovo China achieved US$4.1 billion in consolidated sales in the third fiscal quarter, an increase of 17 percent year-over-year, accounting for 43 percent of the Company’s worldwide sales. Lenovo’s PC Plus strategy fueled outstanding performance in China with 83 percent MIDH revenue growth and a revenue contribution in China of 22 percent. The Company achieved an important milestone with China smartphone achieving profitability for the first time. Lenovo grew its number-one PC market share position in China, the world’s largest PC market, to 36.7 percent, up 1.4 points year-over-year. Lenovo’s PC shipments in China grew two percent year-over-year in the quarter, a solid result given that the overall China PC market was down two percent.
- In the Asia Pacific/Latin America region, Lenovo achieved 11.3 percent market share in the third fiscal quarter, up marginally year-over-year. In a PC market that was down nine percent year-over-year, the Company grew its PC shipments across the region by four percent. Lenovo continued its run as the leading PC vendor in Japan. Consolidated sales across the region totaled US$1.7 billion for 18 percent of Lenovo’s worldwide sales, while operating margins continued to be profitable.
- Lenovo in Europe Middle East & Africa grew PC shipments by 25.5 percent and became the second largest PC seller in this region, with 11 percent market share, an increase of 3.2 share points year-over-year. This was the Company’s first ever quarter to reach the number two position in the region. These achievements were made despite the headwind of overall industry decline in shipments of 11 percent across the region. The Company had consolidated sales in the third quarter of US$2.3 billion, a year-over-year improvement of 17 percent, good for 25 percent of Lenovo’s total worldwide sales.
- Lenovo’s PC shipments in North America in the third fiscal quarter increased 11 percent year-over-year, in a market that fell by about seven percent. In this environment, the Company gained 1.5 share points to a record high market share of nine percent. Consolidated sales grew eight percent year-over-year to US$1.3 billion in the third quarter, or 14 percent of Lenovo’s total worldwide sales. Also, for the first time in North America, Lenovo made significant inroads into the high-end consumer space, taking a large slice of sales of Windows 8 powered convertible devices – including 30 percent share of the US$700-and-above market and 45 percent share of the US$900-and-above market.
- In Laptop PCs, the Company’s worldwide shipments during the third fiscal quarter were up 9.5 percent year-over-year, helping Lenovo gain 2.6 share points and achieve market share of 15.8 percent. Across the industry, laptop shipments were down 8.6 percent year-over-year. Lenovo’s laptop computers continued to be the largest contributor to the Company’s sales worldwide, generating 52 percent of Lenovo’s total sales revenue. Consolidated sales for Lenovo’s laptop PC business worldwide in the third fiscal quarter totaled US$4.8 billion, an increase of eight percent year-over-year. During the third quarter, Lenovo took the industry by storm, announcing a new family of convertible devices, touch optimized for Windows 8: the 11” and 13” Yogas, IdeaPad Lynx and ThinkPad Twist. Lenovo also announced ThinkPad X1 Carbon Touch, adding touch experience to the industry’s leading business-class Ultrabook, and ThinkPad Twist, a business-ready device that puts a new spin on the traditional convertible tablet.
- Lenovo’s consolidated sales of Desktop PCs worldwide increased one percent year-over-year in the third fiscal quarter to US$2.8 billion, or 30 percent of Lenovo’s total sales revenue. The Company’s desktop PC shipments worldwide in the third quarter increased 5.8 percent year-over-year worldwide, compared to an overall industry decrease of 6.8 percent. As a result, Lenovo gained 1.9 share points year-over-year and achieved a record-high market share of 16.1 percent. During the third quarter, Lenovo announced its new IdeaCentre Q190, the world’s smallest full-function desktop PC – measuring just 22mm (0.86 inches) wide – and the latest additions to the C-series all-in-one (AIO) family, featuring affordable, but powerful performance, and multimedia capabilities designed for immersive entertainment.
- As China’s second-largest provider of smartphones and tablets, Lenovo’s MIDH group continues to rapidly build its business. With consolidated sales of US$998 million, a 77 percent year-over-year increase in the third fiscal quarter, MIDH contributed 11 percent to the Company’s overall sales. Year over year, Lenovo gained 4.7 share points in the China smartphone market in the third quarter for an overall market share of 12.3 percent in China. This business achieved profitability as well. During the third quarter, Lenovo announced that it would begin selling smartphones in Russia, in addition to previously announced India, Indonesia, Philippines and Vietnam. These five countries plus China, represent 44 percent of the world’s population, and give Lenovo a strong sales presence in these important emerging economies.
Lenovo (HKSE: 0992) (PINK SHEETS: LNVGY) is a US$30 billion personal technology company – one of the top two PC makers in the world and an emerging PC Plus leader – serving customers in more than 160 countries. Dedicated to building exceptionally engineered PCs and mobile internet devices, Lenovo’s business is built on product innovation, a highly-efficient global supply chain and strong strategic execution. Formed by Lenovo Group’s acquisition of the former IBM Personal Computing Division, the Company develops, manufactures and markets reliable, high-quality, secure and easy-to-use technology products and services. Its product lines include legendary Think-branded commercial PCs and Idea-branded consumer PCs, as well as servers, workstations, and a family of mobile internet devices, including tablets and smart phones. Lenovo, a global Fortune 500 company, has major research centers in Yamato, Japan; Beijing, Shanghai and Shenzhen, China; and Raleigh, North Carolina. For more information see www.lenovo.com.
*See IDC data, 4Q 2012
For the third quarter ended December 31, 2012
(in US$ millions, except per share data)
|Gross Profit Margin||11.8||%||11.4||%||
|Other Non-Operating Expenses||3||(1||)||NA|
|Profit for the period||200||154||30||%|
|Profit attributable to equity holders||205||153||34||%|
|EPS (US cents)|
Almost two-thirds of companies either have or soon will have IoT as the backbone of their business in 2016. However, IoT is far more complex than most firms expected. How can you not get trapped in the pitfalls? In his session at @ThingsExpo, Tony Shan, a renowned visionary and thought leader, will introduce a holistic method of IoTification, which is the process of IoTifying the existing technology and business models to adopt and leverage IoT. He will drill down to the components in this fra...
Aug. 29, 2016 01:01 PM EDT Reads: 117
Data is the fuel that drives the machine learning algorithmic engines and ultimately provides the business value. In his session at Cloud Expo, Ed Featherston, a director and senior enterprise architect at Collaborative Consulting, will discuss the key considerations around quality, volume, timeliness, and pedigree that must be dealt with in order to properly fuel that engine.
Aug. 29, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,008
There is growing need for data-driven applications and the need for digital platforms to build these apps. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Muddu Sudhakar, VP and GM of Security & IoT at Splunk, will cover different PaaS solutions and Big Data platforms that are available to build applications. In addition, AI and machine learning are creating new requirements that developers need in the building of next-gen apps. The next-generation digital platforms have some of the past platform needs a...
Aug. 29, 2016 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 798
19th Cloud Expo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterpri...
Aug. 29, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,180
SYS-CON Events announced today Telecom Reseller has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Telecom Reseller reports on Unified Communications, UCaaS, BPaaS for enterprise and SMBs. They report extensively on both customer premises based solutions such as IP-PBX as well as cloud based and hosted platforms.
Aug. 29, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 933
Pulzze Systems was happy to participate in such a premier event and thankful to be receiving the winning investment and global network support from G-Startup Worldwide. It is an exciting time for Pulzze to showcase the effectiveness of innovative technologies and enable them to make the world smarter and better. The reputable contest is held to identify promising startups around the globe that are assured to change the world through their innovative products and disruptive technologies. There w...
Aug. 29, 2016 07:30 AM EDT Reads: 815
With so much going on in this space you could be forgiven for thinking you were always working with yesterday’s technologies. So much change, so quickly. What do you do if you have to build a solution from the ground up that is expected to live in the field for at least 5-10 years? This is the challenge we faced when we looked to refresh our existing 10-year-old custom hardware stack to measure the fullness of trash cans and compactors.
Aug. 29, 2016 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,835
The emerging Internet of Everything creates tremendous new opportunities for customer engagement and business model innovation. However, enterprises must overcome a number of critical challenges to bring these new solutions to market. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Michael Martin, CTO/CIO at nfrastructure, outlined these key challenges and recommended approaches for overcoming them to achieve speed and agility in the design, development and implementation of Internet of Everything solutions wi...
Aug. 29, 2016 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,199
Cloud computing is being adopted in one form or another by 94% of enterprises today. Tens of billions of new devices are being connected to The Internet of Things. And Big Data is driving this bus. An exponential increase is expected in the amount of information being processed, managed, analyzed, and acted upon by enterprise IT. This amazing is not part of some distant future - it is happening today. One report shows a 650% increase in enterprise data by 2020. Other estimates are even higher....
Aug. 29, 2016 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,028
Today we can collect lots and lots of performance data. We build beautiful dashboards and even have fancy query languages to access and transform the data. Still performance data is a secret language only a couple of people understand. The more business becomes digital the more stakeholders are interested in this data including how it relates to business. Some of these people have never used a monitoring tool before. They have a question on their mind like “How is my application doing” but no id...
Aug. 29, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,912
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Digital Transformation, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportuni...
Aug. 28, 2016 10:30 PM EDT Reads: 4,072
Smart Cities are here to stay, but for their promise to be delivered, the data they produce must not be put in new siloes. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mathias Herberts, Co-founder and CTO of Cityzen Data, will deep dive into best practices that will ensure a successful smart city journey.
Aug. 28, 2016 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,648
SYS-CON Events announced today that 910Telecom will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Housed in the classic Denver Gas & Electric Building, 910 15th St., 910Telecom is a carrier-neutral telecom hotel located in the heart of Denver. Adjacent to CenturyLink, AT&T, and Denver Main, 910Telecom offers connectivity to all major carriers, Internet service providers, Internet backbones and ...
Aug. 28, 2016 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,965
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal and enterprise IT since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago. All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices - comp...
Aug. 28, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,712
DevOps at Cloud Expo, taking place Nov 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long dev...
Aug. 28, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,469
Identity is in everything and customers are looking to their providers to ensure the security of their identities, transactions and data. With the increased reliance on cloud-based services, service providers must build security and trust into their offerings, adding value to customers and improving the user experience. Making identity, security and privacy easy for customers provides a unique advantage over the competition.
Aug. 27, 2016 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,426
I wanted to gather all of my Internet of Things (IOT) blogs into a single blog (that I could later use with my University of San Francisco (USF) Big Data “MBA” course). However as I started to pull these blogs together, I realized that my IOT discussion lacked a vision; it lacked an end point towards which an organization could drive their IOT envisioning, proof of value, app dev, data engineering and data science efforts. And I think that the IOT end point is really quite simple…
Aug. 27, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,401
Personalization has long been the holy grail of marketing. Simply stated, communicate the most relevant offer to the right person and you will increase sales. To achieve this, you must understand the individual. Consequently, digital marketers developed many ways to gather and leverage customer information to deliver targeted experiences. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Lou Casal, Founder and Principal Consultant at Practicala, discussed how the Internet of Things (IoT) has accelerated our abil...
Aug. 27, 2016 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,081
Is the ongoing quest for agility in the data center forcing you to evaluate how to be a part of infrastructure automation efforts? As organizations evolve toward bimodal IT operations, they are embracing new service delivery models and leveraging virtualization to increase infrastructure agility. Therefore, the network must evolve in parallel to become equally agile. Read this essential piece of Gartner research for recommendations on achieving greater agility.
Aug. 25, 2016 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 919
SYS-CON Events announced today that Venafi, the Immune System for the Internet™ and the leading provider of Next Generation Trust Protection, will exhibit at @DevOpsSummit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Venafi is the Immune System for the Internet™ that protects the foundation of all cybersecurity – cryptographic keys and digital certificates – so they can’t be misused by bad guys in attacks...
Aug. 25, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,729