|By Bob Gourley||
|April 4, 2014 03:20 PM EDT||
By Bob Gourley
Salesforce.com Announces New Industries Strategy
BOSTON, April 2, 2014 /PRNewswire/ – Salesforce.com (NYSE: CRM), the world’s #1 CRM platform, today announced a new industries strategy aimed at accelerating the company’s growth and transforming the way companies across key industries connect with their customers. Led by Vivek Kundra, EVP of Industries, salesforce.com’s new Industries Business Unit is delivering social, mobile and connected cloud solutions for six global industries—financial services/insurance, health care/life sciences, retail/consumer products, communications/media, public sector and automotive/manufacturing. Salesforce.com’s strategy includes growing a team of industry experts, developing an ecosystem of preferred partners and creating transformational solutions that leverage the power of the trusted Salesforce1 Platform to address the major challenges for each sector.
Comments on the News
- “As we look to grow to $10 billion and beyond, our new industries strategy is a huge opportunity for salesforce.com to expand our footprint within existing customers and reach new enterprise customers,” said Keith Block, president and vice chairman, salesforce.com. “Companies across all industries are turning to salesforce.com to help them transform their business models and connect with their customers in new ways.”
- “Entire industries are seeing the power of social, mobile and connected cloud technologies up-end decades-long business models. This is no small disruption; it’s a complete re-imagination of industries,” said Vivek Kundra, EVP of Industries, salesforce.com. “We’ve only just begun to see the transformational power of the Salesforce1 Platform and the innovative, scalable industry solutions that we are delivering with our ecosystem of partners.”
Industry Solutions for the Internet of Customers
The world is becoming completely connected. Every day, millions of new products, apps and devices—from every industry—are connecting to the Internet. By 2020, there will be more than 50 billion connected things, from smartphones and wearable smart devices to jet engines and cars. And behind every product, every app and every device there is a customer. It is the Internet of Customers, and customer relationship management has never been more important.
With the Salesforce1 customer platform, companies across every industry are transforming their sales, service and marketing apps for the Internet of Customers. The Salesforce1 platform allows companies to rapidly implement new solutions, and eliminate the costly operational expenses required with legacy on-premise software solutions.
Initially, salesforce.com and its ecosystem of partners are focused on delivering innovative solutions for six industries:
- Financial Services/Insurance: Salesforce.com’s solutions enable financial institutions to move beyond today’s transactional relationships with customers and identify opportunities to build lasting trust through personalized engagement.
- Health Care/Life Sciences: Salesforce.com enables payers, providers and life science companies to connect with patients and providers wherever they are to improve the patient experience, outcomes and cost.
- Retail/Consumer Products: With salesforce.com, retailers and consumer brands can accelerate brand loyalty and engagement by meeting customers wherever and however they want to shop. This connected and integrated approach across channels and locations will unlock new business opportunities and transform the shopping experience.
- Communications/Media: Salesforce.com solutions enable communications providers to take advantage of social, mobile and connected cloud technologies to give their teams instant access to the information they need and create a connected experience for every customer, across every product and every channel—from networks to devices to content.
- Public Sector: Salesforce.com delivers the mobile, social and connected cloud solutions that enable state, local and federal government agencies to create a 21st century government experience for citizens. Using Salesforce, governments are inventing new ways to engage and empower citizens and employees without large up-front investments in IT infrastructure.
- Automotive/Manufacturing: Automotive companies and manufacturers are not just searching for ways to reduce costs and increase production; they are looking to connect with customers in new ways by creating direct relationships with dealer networks and consumers. Salesforce.com solutions are allowing companies to integrate customer feedback into each step of the marketing, sales, design and manufacturing process.
Proven Leaders Drive Industry Innovation
Salesforce.com continues to grow its team of global experts with deep experience driving transformational technologies to lead their respective industries:
- Andy Baer, Head of Communications/Media: As the former CIO for Comcast Cable, Baer brings more than 30 years of experience in the communications/media industry.
- Shelley Bransten, Head of Retail/Consumer Products: Bransten brings more than 20 years of experience in retail, most recently as Vice President of CRM Marketing for Gap, Inc.
- Patrick Pelata, Head of Automotive: As the former COO of Renault, previously Board Member and EVP of Nissan, Pelata brings 28 years of automotive leadership.
- Todd Pierce, Head of Health Care/Life Sciences: As the former CIO at Genentech and global head of Pharma IT & Group Infrastructure for Roche, Pierce brings more than 20 years of managing disruptive technologies for the health care industry.
Salesforce1— the Customer Platform to Deliver Innovation for Every Industry
Salesforce1 is the first CRM platform for developers, ISVs, end users, admins and customers moving to the new social, mobile and connected cloud. Salesforce1 was built to transform the world’s #1 sales, service and marketing apps, supercharge existing Salesforce custom apps and to enable the next generation of custom mobile apps built on a completely new set of APIs. Now sales reps are empowered to sell from anywhere, on any device. Every service agent can now deliver service everywhere to solve cases faster and leverage the more than 2,000 apps available on the AppExchange. And now every marketer will have the full power of social insights and dashboards within the Salesforce1 Mobile App to deliver 1:1 marketing.
Leveraging the Salesforce1 Platform, ISVs and SI partners are building new industry-specific apps that help enterprises manage their business in the cloud.
- For more information on salesforce.com’s Industries, please visit http://salesforce.com/industries
- Explore industry-specific partner solutions on the Salesforce AppExchange: http://appexchange.salesforce.com
- Follow @salesforce on Twitter: http://twitter.com/salesforce
- Like salesforce.com on Facebook: http://facebook.com/salesforce
Salesforce.com is the world’s largest provider of customer relationship management (CRM) software. For more information about salesforce.com (NYSE: CRM), visit: www.salesforce.com.
There is no doubt that Big Data is here and getting bigger every day. Building a Big Data infrastructure today is no easy task. There are an enormous number of choices for database engines and technologies. To make things even more challenging, requirements are getting more sophisticated, and the standard paradigm of supporting historical analytics queries is often just one facet of what is needed. As Big Data growth continues, organizations are demanding real-time access to data, allowing immediate and actionable interpretation of events as they happen. Another aspect concerns how to deliver ...
Jan. 31, 2015 03:00 AM EST Reads: 3,488
Scott Jenson leads a project called The Physical Web within the Chrome team at Google. Project members are working to take the scalability and openness of the web and use it to talk to the exponentially exploding range of smart devices. Nearly every company today working on the IoT comes up with the same basic solution: use my server and you'll be fine. But if we really believe there will be trillions of these devices, that just can't scale. We need a system that is open a scalable and by using the URL as a basic building block, we open this up and get the same resilience that the web enjoys.
Jan. 31, 2015 02:00 AM EST Reads: 3,088
The 3rd International Internet of @ThingsExpo, co-located with the 16th International Cloud Expo - to be held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY - announces that its Call for Papers is now open. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the biggest idea since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago.
Jan. 31, 2015 02:00 AM EST Reads: 8,080
In their session at @ThingsExpo, Shyam Varan Nath, Principal Architect at GE, and Ibrahim Gokcen, who leads GE's advanced IoT analytics, focused on the Internet of Things / Industrial Internet and how to make it operational for business end-users. Learn about the challenges posed by machine and sensor data and how to marry it with enterprise data. They also discussed the tips and tricks to provide the Industrial Internet as an end-user consumable service using Big Data Analytics and Industrial Cloud.
Jan. 31, 2015 01:00 AM EST Reads: 2,944
Things are being built upon cloud foundations to transform organizations. This CEO Power Panel at 15th Cloud Expo, moderated by Roger Strukhoff, Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo conference chair, addressed the big issues involving these technologies and, more important, the results they will achieve. Rodney Rogers, chairman and CEO of Virtustream; Brendan O'Brien, co-founder of Aria Systems, Bart Copeland, president and CEO of ActiveState Software; Jim Cowie, chief scientist at Dyn; Dave Wagstaff, VP and chief architect at BSQUARE Corporation; Seth Proctor, CTO of NuoDB, Inc.; and Andris Gailitis, C...
Jan. 31, 2015 01:00 AM EST Reads: 2,836
How do APIs and IoT relate? The answer is not as simple as merely adding an API on top of a dumb device, but rather about understanding the architectural patterns for implementing an IoT fabric. There are typically two or three trends: Exposing the device to a management framework Exposing that management framework to a business centric logic Exposing that business layer and data to end users. This last trend is the IoT stack, which involves a new shift in the separation of what stuff happens, where data lives and where the interface lies. For instance, it's a mix of architectural styles ...
Jan. 31, 2015 12:30 AM EST Reads: 3,089
The Industrial Internet revolution is now underway, enabled by connected machines and billions of devices that communicate and collaborate. The massive amounts of Big Data requiring real-time analysis is flooding legacy IT systems and giving way to cloud environments that can handle the unpredictable workloads. Yet many barriers remain until we can fully realize the opportunities and benefits from the convergence of machines and devices with Big Data and the cloud, including interoperability, data security and privacy.
Jan. 30, 2015 10:00 PM EST Reads: 2,880
Technology is enabling a new approach to collecting and using data. This approach, commonly referred to as the "Internet of Things" (IoT), enables businesses to use real-time data from all sorts of things including machines, devices and sensors to make better decisions, improve customer service, and lower the risk in the creation of new revenue opportunities. In his General Session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Dave Wagstaff, Vice President and Chief Architect at BSQUARE Corporation, discuss the real benefits to focus on, how to understand the requirements of a successful solution, the flow of ...
Jan. 30, 2015 03:45 PM EST Reads: 3,153
Cloud Expo 2014 TV commercials will feature @ThingsExpo, which was launched in June, 2014 at New York City's Javits Center as the largest 'Internet of Things' event in the world.
Jan. 30, 2015 03:15 PM EST Reads: 3,534
"People are a lot more knowledgeable about APIs now. There are two types of people who work with APIs - IT people who want to use APIs for something internal and the product managers who want to do something outside APIs for people to connect to them," explained Roberto Medrano, Executive Vice President at SOA Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at Cloud Expo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jan. 30, 2015 02:30 PM EST Reads: 2,716
Performance is the intersection of power, agility, control, and choice. If you value performance, and more specifically consistent performance, you need to look beyond simple virtualized compute. Many factors need to be considered to create a truly performant environment. In his General Session at 15th Cloud Expo, Harold Hannon, Sr. Software Architect at SoftLayer, discussed how to take advantage of a multitude of compute options and platform features to make cloud the cornerstone of your online presence.
Jan. 30, 2015 02:15 PM EST Reads: 3,246
In this Women in Technology Power Panel at 15th Cloud Expo, moderated by Anne Plese, Senior Consultant, Cloud Product Marketing at Verizon Enterprise, Esmeralda Swartz, CMO at MetraTech; Evelyn de Souza, Data Privacy and Compliance Strategy Leader at Cisco Systems; Seema Jethani, Director of Product Management at Basho Technologies; Victoria Livschitz, CEO of Qubell Inc.; Anne Hungate, Senior Director of Software Quality at DIRECTV, discussed what path they took to find their spot within the technology industry and how do they see opportunities for other women in their area of expertise.
Jan. 30, 2015 01:45 PM EST Reads: 2,382
DevOps Summit 2015 New York, co-located with the 16th International Cloud Expo - to be held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY - announces that it is now accepting Keynote Proposals. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long development cycles that produce software that is obsolete at launch. DevOps may be disruptive, but it is essential.
Jan. 30, 2015 01:15 PM EST Reads: 2,630
Wearable devices have come of age. The primary applications of wearables so far have been "the Quantified Self" or the tracking of one's fitness and health status. We propose the evolution of wearables into social and emotional communication devices. Our BE(tm) sensor uses light to visualize the skin conductance response. Our sensors are very inexpensive and can be massively distributed to audiences or groups of any size, in order to gauge reactions to performances, video, or any kind of presentation. In her session at @ThingsExpo, Jocelyn Scheirer, CEO & Founder of Bionolux, will discuss ho...
Jan. 30, 2015 01:15 PM EST Reads: 2,030
Almost everyone sees the potential of Internet of Things but how can businesses truly unlock that potential. The key will be in the ability to discover business insight in the midst of an ocean of Big Data generated from billions of embedded devices via Systems of Discover. Businesses will also need to ensure that they can sustain that insight by leveraging the cloud for global reach, scale and elasticity.
Jan. 30, 2015 01:00 PM EST Reads: 4,139
“With easy-to-use SDKs for Atmel’s platforms, IoT developers can now reap the benefits of realtime communication, and bypass the security pitfalls and configuration complexities that put IoT deployments at risk,” said Todd Greene, founder & CEO of PubNub. PubNub will team with Atmel at CES 2015 to launch full SDK support for Atmel’s MCU, MPU, and Wireless SoC platforms. Atmel developers now have access to PubNub’s secure Publish/Subscribe messaging with guaranteed ¼ second latencies across PubNub’s 14 global points-of-presence. PubNub delivers secure communication through firewalls, proxy ser...
Jan. 30, 2015 12:45 PM EST Reads: 1,741
We’re no longer looking to the future for the IoT wave. It’s no longer a distant dream but a reality that has arrived. It’s now time to make sure the industry is in alignment to meet the IoT growing pains – cooperate and collaborate as well as innovate. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Jim Hunter, Chief Scientist & Technology Evangelist at Greenwave Systems, will examine the key ingredients to IoT success and identify solutions to challenges the industry is facing. The deep industry expertise behind this presentation will provide attendees with a leading edge view of rapidly emerging IoT oppor...
Jan. 30, 2015 12:45 PM EST Reads: 1,931
Connected devices and the Internet of Things are getting significant momentum in 2014. In his session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Jim Hunter, Chief Scientist & Technology Evangelist at Greenwave Systems, examined three key elements that together will drive mass adoption of the IoT before the end of 2015. The first element is the recent advent of robust open source protocols (like AllJoyn and WebRTC) that facilitate M2M communication. The second is broad availability of flexible, cost-effective storage designed to handle the massive surge in back-end data in a world where timely analytics is e...
Jan. 30, 2015 12:00 PM EST Reads: 2,693
"There is a natural synchronization between the business models, the IoT is there to support ,” explained Brendan O'Brien, Co-founder and Chief Architect of Aria Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at the 15th International Cloud Expo®, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jan. 30, 2015 11:45 AM EST Reads: 3,641
The Internet of Things will put IT to its ultimate test by creating infinite new opportunities to digitize products and services, generate and analyze new data to improve customer satisfaction, and discover new ways to gain a competitive advantage across nearly every industry. In order to help corporate business units to capitalize on the rapidly evolving IoT opportunities, IT must stand up to a new set of challenges. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Jeff Kaplan, Managing Director of THINKstrategies, will examine why IT must finally fulfill its role in support of its SBUs or face a new round of...
Jan. 30, 2015 11:45 AM EST Reads: 2,799