|By Bob Gourley||
|April 4, 2014 03:20 PM EDT||
By Bob Gourley
Salesforce.com Announces New Industries Strategy
BOSTON, April 2, 2014 /PRNewswire/ – Salesforce.com (NYSE: CRM), the world’s #1 CRM platform, today announced a new industries strategy aimed at accelerating the company’s growth and transforming the way companies across key industries connect with their customers. Led by Vivek Kundra, EVP of Industries, salesforce.com’s new Industries Business Unit is delivering social, mobile and connected cloud solutions for six global industries—financial services/insurance, health care/life sciences, retail/consumer products, communications/media, public sector and automotive/manufacturing. Salesforce.com’s strategy includes growing a team of industry experts, developing an ecosystem of preferred partners and creating transformational solutions that leverage the power of the trusted Salesforce1 Platform to address the major challenges for each sector.
Comments on the News
- “As we look to grow to $10 billion and beyond, our new industries strategy is a huge opportunity for salesforce.com to expand our footprint within existing customers and reach new enterprise customers,” said Keith Block, president and vice chairman, salesforce.com. “Companies across all industries are turning to salesforce.com to help them transform their business models and connect with their customers in new ways.”
- “Entire industries are seeing the power of social, mobile and connected cloud technologies up-end decades-long business models. This is no small disruption; it’s a complete re-imagination of industries,” said Vivek Kundra, EVP of Industries, salesforce.com. “We’ve only just begun to see the transformational power of the Salesforce1 Platform and the innovative, scalable industry solutions that we are delivering with our ecosystem of partners.”
Industry Solutions for the Internet of Customers
The world is becoming completely connected. Every day, millions of new products, apps and devices—from every industry—are connecting to the Internet. By 2020, there will be more than 50 billion connected things, from smartphones and wearable smart devices to jet engines and cars. And behind every product, every app and every device there is a customer. It is the Internet of Customers, and customer relationship management has never been more important.
With the Salesforce1 customer platform, companies across every industry are transforming their sales, service and marketing apps for the Internet of Customers. The Salesforce1 platform allows companies to rapidly implement new solutions, and eliminate the costly operational expenses required with legacy on-premise software solutions.
Initially, salesforce.com and its ecosystem of partners are focused on delivering innovative solutions for six industries:
- Financial Services/Insurance: Salesforce.com’s solutions enable financial institutions to move beyond today’s transactional relationships with customers and identify opportunities to build lasting trust through personalized engagement.
- Health Care/Life Sciences: Salesforce.com enables payers, providers and life science companies to connect with patients and providers wherever they are to improve the patient experience, outcomes and cost.
- Retail/Consumer Products: With salesforce.com, retailers and consumer brands can accelerate brand loyalty and engagement by meeting customers wherever and however they want to shop. This connected and integrated approach across channels and locations will unlock new business opportunities and transform the shopping experience.
- Communications/Media: Salesforce.com solutions enable communications providers to take advantage of social, mobile and connected cloud technologies to give their teams instant access to the information they need and create a connected experience for every customer, across every product and every channel—from networks to devices to content.
- Public Sector: Salesforce.com delivers the mobile, social and connected cloud solutions that enable state, local and federal government agencies to create a 21st century government experience for citizens. Using Salesforce, governments are inventing new ways to engage and empower citizens and employees without large up-front investments in IT infrastructure.
- Automotive/Manufacturing: Automotive companies and manufacturers are not just searching for ways to reduce costs and increase production; they are looking to connect with customers in new ways by creating direct relationships with dealer networks and consumers. Salesforce.com solutions are allowing companies to integrate customer feedback into each step of the marketing, sales, design and manufacturing process.
Proven Leaders Drive Industry Innovation
Salesforce.com continues to grow its team of global experts with deep experience driving transformational technologies to lead their respective industries:
- Andy Baer, Head of Communications/Media: As the former CIO for Comcast Cable, Baer brings more than 30 years of experience in the communications/media industry.
- Shelley Bransten, Head of Retail/Consumer Products: Bransten brings more than 20 years of experience in retail, most recently as Vice President of CRM Marketing for Gap, Inc.
- Patrick Pelata, Head of Automotive: As the former COO of Renault, previously Board Member and EVP of Nissan, Pelata brings 28 years of automotive leadership.
- Todd Pierce, Head of Health Care/Life Sciences: As the former CIO at Genentech and global head of Pharma IT & Group Infrastructure for Roche, Pierce brings more than 20 years of managing disruptive technologies for the health care industry.
Salesforce1— the Customer Platform to Deliver Innovation for Every Industry
Salesforce1 is the first CRM platform for developers, ISVs, end users, admins and customers moving to the new social, mobile and connected cloud. Salesforce1 was built to transform the world’s #1 sales, service and marketing apps, supercharge existing Salesforce custom apps and to enable the next generation of custom mobile apps built on a completely new set of APIs. Now sales reps are empowered to sell from anywhere, on any device. Every service agent can now deliver service everywhere to solve cases faster and leverage the more than 2,000 apps available on the AppExchange. And now every marketer will have the full power of social insights and dashboards within the Salesforce1 Mobile App to deliver 1:1 marketing.
Leveraging the Salesforce1 Platform, ISVs and SI partners are building new industry-specific apps that help enterprises manage their business in the cloud.
- For more information on salesforce.com’s Industries, please visit http://salesforce.com/industries
- Explore industry-specific partner solutions on the Salesforce AppExchange: http://appexchange.salesforce.com
- Follow @salesforce on Twitter: http://twitter.com/salesforce
- Like salesforce.com on Facebook: http://facebook.com/salesforce
Salesforce.com is the world’s largest provider of customer relationship management (CRM) software. For more information about salesforce.com (NYSE: CRM), visit: www.salesforce.com.
Today’s connected world is moving from devices towards things, what this means is that by using increasingly low cost sensors embedded in devices we can create many new use cases. These span across use cases in cities, vehicles, home, offices, factories, retail environments, worksites, health, logistics, and health. These use cases rely on ubiquitous connectivity and generate massive amounts of data at scale. These technologies enable new business opportunities, ways to optimize and automate, along with new ways to engage with users.
Oct. 13, 2015 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 265
WebRTC converts the entire network into a ubiquitous communications cloud thereby connecting anytime, anywhere through any point. In his session at WebRTC Summit,, Mark Castleman, EIR at Bell Labs and Head of Future X Labs, will discuss how the transformational nature of communications is achieved through the democratizing force of WebRTC. WebRTC is doing for voice what HTML did for web content.
Oct. 13, 2015 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,489
This week, the team assembled in NYC for @Cloud Expo 2015 and @ThingsExpo 2015. For the past four years, this has been a must-attend event for MetraTech. We were happy to once again join industry visionaries, colleagues, customers and even competitors to share and explore the ways in which the Internet of Things (IoT) will impact our industry. Over the course of the show, we discussed the types of challenges we will collectively need to solve to capitalize on the opportunity IoT presents.
Oct. 13, 2015 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 128
Through WebRTC, audio and video communications are being embedded more easily than ever into applications, helping carriers, enterprises and independent software vendors deliver greater functionality to their end users. With today’s business world increasingly focused on outcomes, users’ growing calls for ease of use, and businesses craving smarter, tighter integration, what’s the next step in delivering a richer, more immersive experience? That richer, more fully integrated experience comes about through a Communications Platform as a Service which allows for messaging, screen sharing, video...
Oct. 13, 2015 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,230
SYS-CON Events announced today that Super Micro Computer, Inc., a global leader in high-performance, high-efficiency server, storage technology and green computing, will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Supermicro (NASDAQ: SMCI), the leading innovator in high-performance, high-efficiency server technology is a premier provider of advanced server Building Block Solutions® for Data Center, Cloud Computing, Enterprise IT, Hadoop/Big Data, HPC and Embedded Systems worldwide. Supermi...
Oct. 13, 2015 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 232
As more intelligent IoT applications shift into gear, they’re merging into the ever-increasing traffic flow of the Internet. It won’t be long before we experience bottlenecks, as IoT traffic peaks during rush hours. Organizations that are unprepared will find themselves by the side of the road unable to cross back into the fast lane. As billions of new devices begin to communicate and exchange data – will your infrastructure be scalable enough to handle this new interconnected world?
Oct. 13, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 123
SYS-CON Events announced today that Dyn, the worldwide leader in Internet Performance, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Dyn is a cloud-based Internet Performance company. Dyn helps companies monitor, control, and optimize online infrastructure for an exceptional end-user experience. Through a world-class network and unrivaled, objective intelligence into Internet conditions, Dyn ensures traffic gets delivered faster, safer, and more reliably than ever.
Oct. 13, 2015 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 729
SYS-CON Events announced today that Sandy Carter, IBM General Manager Cloud Ecosystem and Developers, and a Social Business Evangelist, will keynote at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Oct. 13, 2015 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 257
The Internet of Things (IoT) is growing rapidly by extending current technologies, products and networks. By 2020, Cisco estimates there will be 50 billion connected devices. Gartner has forecast revenues of over $300 billion, just to IoT suppliers. Now is the time to figure out how you’ll make money – not just create innovative products. With hundreds of new products and companies jumping into the IoT fray every month, there’s no shortage of innovation. Despite this, McKinsey/VisionMobile data shows "less than 10 percent of IoT developers are making enough to support a reasonably sized team....
Oct. 13, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 343
The IoT market is on track to hit $7.1 trillion in 2020. The reality is that only a handful of companies are ready for this massive demand. There are a lot of barriers, paint points, traps, and hidden roadblocks. How can we deal with these issues and challenges? The paradigm has changed. Old-style ad-hoc trial-and-error ways will certainly lead you to the dead end. What is mandatory is an overarching and adaptive approach to effectively handle the rapid changes and exponential growth.
Oct. 13, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 339
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo in Silicon Valley. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 17th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal an...
Oct. 13, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 228
Developing software for the Internet of Things (IoT) comes with its own set of challenges. Security, privacy, and unified standards are a few key issues. In addition, each IoT product is comprised of at least three separate application components: the software embedded in the device, the backend big-data service, and the mobile application for the end user's controls. Each component is developed by a different team, using different technologies and practices, and deployed to a different stack/target - this makes the integration of these separate pipelines and the coordination of software upd...
Oct. 13, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 412
As a company adopts a DevOps approach to software development, what are key things that both the Dev and Ops side of the business must keep in mind to ensure effective continuous delivery? In his session at DevOps Summit, Mark Hydar, Head of DevOps, Ericsson TV Platforms, will share best practices and provide helpful tips for Ops teams to adopt an open line of communication with the development side of the house to ensure success between the two sides.
Oct. 13, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 693
The IoT is upon us, but today’s databases, built on 30-year-old math, require multiple platforms to create a single solution. Data demands of the IoT require Big Data systems that can handle ingest, transactions and analytics concurrently adapting to varied situations as they occur, with speed at scale. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chad Jones, chief strategy officer at Deep Information Sciences, will look differently at IoT data so enterprises can fully leverage their IoT potential. He’ll share tips on how to speed up business initiatives, harness Big Data and remain one step ahead by apply...
Oct. 13, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 747
There will be 20 billion IoT devices connected to the Internet soon. What if we could control these devices with our voice, mind, or gestures? What if we could teach these devices how to talk to each other? What if these devices could learn how to interact with us (and each other) to make our lives better? What if Jarvis was real? How can I gain these super powers? In his session at 17th Cloud Expo, Chris Matthieu, co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, will show you!
Oct. 13, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 304
Today air travel is a minefield of delays, hassles and customer disappointment. Airlines struggle to revitalize the experience. GE and M2Mi will demonstrate practical examples of how IoT solutions are helping airlines bring back personalization, reduce trip time and improve reliability. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Shyam Varan Nath, Principal Architect with GE, and Dr. Sarah Cooper, M2Mi's VP Business Development and Engineering, will explore the IoT cloud-based platform technologies driving this change including privacy controls, data transparency and integration of real time context w...
Oct. 13, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 306
The Internet of Everything is re-shaping technology trends–moving away from “request/response” architecture to an “always-on” Streaming Web where data is in constant motion and secure, reliable communication is an absolute necessity. As more and more THINGS go online, the challenges that developers will need to address will only increase exponentially. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Todd Greene, Founder & CEO of PubNub, will explore the current state of IoT connectivity and review key trends and technology requirements that will drive the Internet of Things from hype to reality.
Oct. 13, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 321
"Matrix is an ambitious open standard and implementation that's set up to break down the fragmentation problems that exist in IP messaging and VoIP communication," explained John Woolf, Technical Evangelist at Matrix, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Oct. 13, 2015 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 6,012
Nowadays, a large number of sensors and devices are connected to the network. Leading-edge IoT technologies integrate various types of sensor data to create a new value for several business decision scenarios. The transparent cloud is a model of a new IoT emergence service platform. Many service providers store and access various types of sensor data in order to create and find out new business values by integrating such data.
Oct. 13, 2015 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 683
There are so many tools and techniques for data analytics that even for a data scientist the choices, possible systems, and even the types of data can be daunting. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Harrold, Global CTO for Big Data Solutions for EMC Corporation, will show how to perform a simple, but meaningful analysis of social sentiment data using freely available tools that take only minutes to download and install. Participants will get the download information, scripts, and complete end-to-end walkthrough of the analysis from start to finish. Participants will also be given the pract...
Oct. 13, 2015 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 410