|By Marketwired .||
|May 20, 2014 08:00 AM EDT||
SAN FRANCISCO, CA -- (Marketwired) -- 05/20/14 -- Cisco Live! -- Demonstrating accelerating momentum for its new cloud business, Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) today announced new cloud partners and customers, an updated array of cloud service offerings, and key cloud organization leadership appointments.
Today's news builds on plans announced in March by Cisco to build the world's largest global Intercloud together with its partners to address customer requirements for a globally distributed, highly secure cloud platform capable of meeting the robust demands of the Internet of Everything. Designed for high-value application workloads, with real-time analytics and "near infinite" scalability, Cisco's open Intercloud allows local hosting and local provider options that enable data sovereignty. The hybrid cloud capabilities that differentiate the Cisco® Cloud are built upon the Cisco Application Centric Infrastructure (ACI) and Cisco Intercloud Fabric technologies.
Today's Announcement Highlights
- Dimension Data and Sungard Availability Services (Sungard AS) will join Telstra as Cisco Intercloud partners -- cloud providers that will invest with Cisco to align their public cloud infrastructure to the Cisco Cloud architecture and deliver Cisco Cloud services to customers and resellers.
- VCE and NetApp announced they will collaborate closely with Cisco to build "Intercloud-ready" integrated infrastructure solutions.
- Johnson Controls announced that it will enable Cisco Cloud partners and customers to quickly add computing capacity via modular data center solutions.
- Accenture has licensed Cisco Intelligent Automation for Cloud software to expand the cloud management and orchestration capabilities of the Accenture Cloud Platform.
Partner and Customer Momentum in Detail
- Dimension Data and Cisco will expand their 23-year relationship to accelerate and streamline hybrid cloud adoption globally. Cisco will use Dimension Data's Managed Cloud Platform and SaaS solutions to deliver a suite of midmarket cloud services to its customers and resellers. Dimension Data and Cisco will partner to deliver an infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) solution that will be packaged with Cisco technology and software-as-a-service (SaaS) applications, including Microsoft SQL Server and SharePoint. The Cisco validated and co-branded solutions will be sold by Cisco through the Cisco channel partner community. Dimension Data's global cloud service is available via 10 data centers around the world, with plans to expand to 13 locations by September 2014. As a Cisco Intercloud partner, Dimension Data will evolve its Managed Cloud Platform to embrace Cisco ACI and Intercloud Fabric -- the building blocks of the Cisco Cloud architecture.
- Sungard Availability Services is a Cisco Intercloud partner, utilizing its cloud infrastructure to deliver new Cisco Cloud services to customers and resellers. As a Cisco Intercloud partner, Sungard AS is expanding its cloud infrastructure utilizing the foundational elements of the Cisco Cloud architecture, including Cisco ACI. Sungard AS is poised to become the first cloud provider to market with a Cisco ACI-based public cloud offer built on an application-centric cloud architecture. Cisco will feature two cloud services from Sungard AS in its service catalog: an IaaS offering that enables customers to rapidly deploy hybrid clouds; and a disaster recovery-as-a-service offering to deliver business continuity.
- VCE today announced it will integrate Cisco's Intercloud Fabric with Vblock Systems. By providing an onramp to Cisco's Intercloud workload migration capabilities, VCE Vblock Systems will enable customers to rapidly, seamlessly and securely manage their private, hybrid and public cloud environments. This integration will enable the management of cloud-enabled workloads across heterogeneous environments to be centralized with consistent network and security policies and optimized to fit the needs of the business.
- NetApp today announced plans to integrate its industry-leading data management technology with Cisco's Intercloud technology to simplify secure, cross-cloud interoperability and to accelerate adoption of hybrid clouds by mutual customers. NetApp and Cisco will also incorporate the Cisco Intercloud Fabric into the FlexPod roadmap. By delivering uniform control across workload locations, FlexPod will be able to combine the transformative power of public cloud computing with private cloud deployments. More broadly across their portfolio, NetApp will continue to integrate its clustered Data ONTAP technology with the Cisco Intercloud Fabric and Cisco ACI policy control to centralize and simplify data management and data movement for cloud-enabled application workloads.
- Accenture has licensed Cisco Intelligent Automation for Cloud (IAC) software as a component of its Accenture Cloud Platform (ACP). Cisco IAC will provide the cloud management and orchestration software for the next release of the Accenture Cloud Platform (ACP), Accenture's cloud management platform that provides value-added cloud services to clients, and for public cloud services offered by other cloud providers. Cisco IAC was chosen as ACP's preferred cloud management software on the strength of its service catalog and orchestration capabilities.
- Johnson Controls is the preferred global provider of modular data center solutions for the Cisco Cloud. By using modular components for computing, communications, security, power and cooling, the timelines for new data center construction are cut in half, allowing Cisco Cloud customers and partners to quickly deploy "Intercloud-ready" computing capabilities. Johnson Controls also offers the ability to manage and remotely monitor data center facilities for Cisco Cloud customers and partners. As a multi-industrial company and industry leader in facility construction and management, Johnson Controls provides facility management services in more than 250 data centers across 29 countries.
- The University of British Columbia (UBC) announced that it will use Cisco EnergyWise cloud energy management services, which deliver automated management of electricity usage. UBC will use Cisco EnergyWise cloud energy management services to expand its current EnergyWise networked devices 10-fold and will work together with Cisco to develop custom interfaces so additional devices can be managed by EnergyWise.
- Cisco announced that it has surpassed 175 channel partners, including CDW and GTRI, who are now certified to manage and resell Cisco Cloud services.
Cisco Names Key Cloud Leaders
Cisco today announced the appointment of Cisco Cloud executives responsible for driving the company's cloud strategy.
- Nick Earle will lead the Cloud and Managed Services organization, reporting to senior vice president of Services Edzard Overbeek.
- Dr. Gee Rittenhouse will lead the new Cloud and Virtualization Group under executive vice president and chief development officer Pankaj Patel.
- Faiyaz Shahpurwala continues to lead the Cloud Infrastructure and Managed Services Organization, also reporting to Edzard Overbeek.
More than 3,700 Cisco employees are now driving the execution of Cisco's cloud strategy, including top new talent and existing Cisco leaders such as Edison Peres, who has directed Cisco's worldwide channel efforts for over 10 years and will lead the Cloud and Managed Services partner organization, reporting to Nick Earle. Several new Cisco Cloud executives have deep experience in deploying global cloud services, including a former OpenStack team lead at AT&T, former OpenStack developers at AT&T, and the former chief cloud architect at Yahoo. Cisco has also recently made key additions to its cloud organization from top cloud providers, including Amazon, CenturyLink Technology Solutions, IBM, Microsoft and others.
Rob Lloyd, President, Development and Sales, Cisco
"Since we introduced Cisco Cloud in late March, we have seen tremendous interest from our valued partners and customers, most of whom are interested in cloud environments that are open, highly secure, extensible, and enable data sovereignty. Furthermore, they are looking to Cisco for a network-centric approach to faster IT and cloud innovation. We are very pleased at the momentum we've generated thus far and have put a world-class team in place to enable our partners and customers to grow their businesses in a world of many clouds."
Brett Dawson, CEO of Dimension Data
"Over our 23 year relationship with Cisco, we have had many successes in the marketplace together and cloud is no exception. Dimension Data is proud to be the first global Intercloud partner. We have been providing cloud services for many years and have developed a robust global cloud service -- available across all continents. We are extremely excited to support Cisco and its partners in accelerating the market's move to cloud services."
Andrew Stern, CEO, Sungard Availability Services
"Companies of all sizes need secure, flexible hybrid cloud solutions to respond to evolving market demands. Our deployment of Cisco's Application Centric Infrastructure coupled with our Sungard AS Enterprise Cloud Service will enable our customers to accelerate the deployment and management of applications in hybrid cloud environments."
Todd Pavone, Executive Vice President, Product Strategy & Development, VCE
"The Cisco Cloud strategy is to build the platform for the Internet of Everything by connecting the world of many clouds into the Intercloud. VCE will help Cisco accomplish this ambitious goal by enabling enterprises and cloud providers to build hybrid-ready private clouds based on proven true converged infrastructure from VCE. Together, VCE and Cisco can deliver 'Intercloud-ready' Vblock Systems that further accelerate IT transformation by enabling secure workload migration between public and private clouds while simplifying infrastructure management, increasing business agility and lowering costs."
Phil Brotherton, Vice President, Cloud Solutions Group, NetApp
"Cisco's Intercloud vision aligns with NetApp's approach to enable customers to manage and maintain governance of their data spanning private and public cloud environments, irrespective of data type or location. Our companies continue to invest to deliver on the vision of FlexPod, building a secure, dynamic infrastructure to accelerate IT transformation. Now we're integrating Intercloud fabric into the FlexPod platform to deliver dramatic improvements in operational efficiency and simplicity. Cisco Intercloud will help customers build the enterprise network and data management organizations need for the future."
Jack Sepple, Accenture Senior Managing Director of Infrastructure Services & Cloud
"The Accenture Cloud Platform is key to our client's success in integrating and managing cloud services in a hybrid IT environment. The integration of Cisco's Intelligent Automation for Cloud software will make a significant contribution to the way our clients can access and consume value-added cloud services."
Dave Myers, President, Building Efficiency, Johnson Controls
"Evolving needs and increased speed and mobility are pushing businesses to use, compute and store data in ways that touch each of us, every day. Employee information, retirement accounts and even your cell phone records are most likely hosted in a cloud. Our relationship with Cisco makes sure that those clouds are supported by reliable and secure data centers that are designed to meet today's needs and easily adapt for the future."
Brent Sauder, Director of Strategic Partnerships, the University of British Columbia
"UBC, like many North American cities and municipalities, is facing a threat to its energy sustainability -- increased demand is taxing the existing infrastructure. UBC and Cisco are pursuing activities that will explore, develop and validate new strategies for energy sustainability and demand management, including EnergyWise to address the need for smart, energy efficient IT and building asset management. EnergyWise Cloud Service will enable us to move from a small on-premise proof-of-concept to a potentially full-campus scale deployment with dramatically reduced project timelines and resources. With a cloud delivery model, the economic impact and ROI of EnergyWise can be realized almost immediately."
Christine Holloway, Vice President of Converged Infrastructure Solutions at CDW
"The Cisco Cloud will help jumpstart the market with compelling cloud solutions branded by Cisco. We believe the new hybrid cloud bundles, validated by Cisco, will meet the needs of our midmarket customer. Our customers can rest assured that their favorable experience with Cisco validated CPE solutions will be the same with a Cisco validated Cloud services, and these new solutions are a great entry point for customers to adopt and recognize the benefits of hybrid cloud."
Greg Byles, CEO, Global Technology Resources, Inc. (GTRI)
"There is a healthy appetite for cloud services in the marketplace today, and as offerings continue to multiply, customers are becoming more selective in their choices as they look to optimize their IT spend. Customers are more comfortable embracing cloud services backed by leading, experienced and stable vendors. Cisco represents an experienced and proven cloud leader that stands behind what they sell. This is what gives peace of mind to us and our customers."
- News Release: Cisco Advances Cloud Strategy with Additional Cloud Partners and Customers, Updated Offerings and Leadership Appointments
- News Release: Cisco and Dimension Data to Accelerate Global Hybrid Cloud Adoption
- Cisco Blog: Cisco is Moving Fast with our Partners to Deliver on the Promise of an Intercloud (Rob Lloyd, president, Development and Sales)
- Cisco Blog: Cloud Evolution - A Journey Together (Edison Peres, senior vice president, Cloud and Managed Services partner organization)
- NetApp Blog: Moving from Cloud Vision to Reality (Phil Brotherton, vice president, Cloud Solutions Group, NetApp)
- VCE Blog: VCE to Integrate Cisco Intercloud
Cisco Cloud Services, Intercloud, Application Centric Infrastructure, Robert Lloyd
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is the worldwide leader in IT that helps companies seize the opportunities of tomorrow by proving that amazing things can happen when you connect the previously unconnected. For ongoing news, please go to http://thenetwork.cisco.com.
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.
RSS Feed for Cisco: http://newsroom.cisco.com/rss-feeds
We heard for many years how developing nations would be able to develop mobile-phone networks quickly, perhaps even leapfrog developed nations, because their lack of traditional, wired networks would not inhibit them from deploying the new technology. Now there is talk of history repeating itself with the Industrial Internet--a key aspect of the emerging Internet of Things. For example, Guo Ping, Deputy Chairman of the Board of Chinese electronics giant Huawei, said in a recent report from the World Economic Forum, "The Industrial Internet will afford emerging markets a unique opportunity ...
May. 5, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 665
Avnet, Inc. has announced that it ranked No. 4 on the InformationWeek Elite 100 – a list of the top business technology innovators in the U.S. Avnet was recognized for the development of an innovative cloud-based training system that serves as the foundation for Avnet Academy – the company’s education and training organization focused on technical training around top IT vendor technologies. The development of this system allowed Avnet to quickly expand its IT-related training capabilities around the world, while creating a new service that Avnet and its IT solution providers can offer to their...
May. 5, 2015 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 911
Ayla Networks, whose agile Internet of Things (IoT) platform makes it easy for manufacturers to deliver secure, connected products, today announced it has been included in the list of "Cool Vendors" in the Internet of Things report by Gartner, Inc. “Gartner knows how important it is that manufacturers of all kinds of products have the right IoT solution to help turn their products into connected ‘things,’” said David Friedman, CEO and co-founder of Ayla Networks. “The market for Ayla’s IoT platform has accelerated dramatically this year compared to last year. Today’s largest manufacturers ar...
May. 5, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 477
SYS-CON Events announced today that B2Cloud, a provider of enterprise resource planning software, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. B2cloud develops the software you need. They have the ideal tools to help you work with your clients. B2Cloud’s main solutions include AGIS – ERP, CLOHC, AGIS – Invoice, and IZUM
May. 5, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,482
The Internet of Things Maturity Model (IoTMM) is a qualitative method to gauge the growth and increasing impact of IoT capabilities in an IT environment from both a business and technology perspective. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Tony Shan will first scan the IoT landscape and investigate the major challenges and barriers. The key areas of consideration are identified to get started with IoT journey. He will then pinpoint the need of a tool for effective IoT adoption and implementation, which leads to IoTMM in which five maturity levels are defined: Advanced, Dynamic, Optimized, Primitive,...
May. 5, 2015 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,156
The world's leading Cloud event, Cloud Expo has launched Microservices Journal on the SYS-CON.com portal, featuring over 19,000 original articles, news stories, features, and blog entries. DevOps Journal is focused on this critical enterprise IT topic in the world of cloud computing. Microservices Journal offers top articles, news stories, and blog posts from the world's well-known experts and guarantees better exposure for its authors than any other publication. Follow new article posts on Twitter at @MicroservicesE
May. 5, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,937
Containers and microservices have become topics of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities. Accordingly, attendees at the upcoming 16th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York June 9-11 will find fresh new content in a new track called PaaS | Containers & Microservices Containers are not being considered for the first time by the cloud community, but a current era of re-consideration has pushed them to the top of the cloud agenda. With the launch of Docker's initial release in March of 2013, interest was revved up several notches. Then late last...
May. 5, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,925
There is no doubt that Big Data is here and getting bigger every day. Building a Big Data infrastructure today is no easy task. There are an enormous number of choices for database engines and technologies. To make things even more challenging, requirements are getting more sophisticated, and the standard paradigm of supporting historical analytics queries is often just one facet of what is needed. As Big Data growth continues, organizations are demanding real-time access to data, allowing immediate and actionable interpretation of events as they happen. Another aspect concerns how to deliver ...
May. 5, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 5,801
SYS-CON Events announced today that MangoApps will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY., and the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MangoApps provides private all-in-one social intranets allowing workers to securely collaborate from anywhere in the world and from any device. Social, mobile, and easy to use. MangoApps has been named a "Market Leader" by Ovum Research and a "Cool Vendor" by Gartner...
May. 5, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,396
WebRTC defines no default signaling protocol, causing fragmentation between WebRTC silos. SIP and XMPP provide possibilities, but come with considerable complexity and are not designed for use in a web environment. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Matthew Hodgson, technical co-founder of the Matrix.org, discussed how Matrix is a new non-profit Open Source Project that defines both a new HTTP-based standard for VoIP & IM signaling and provides reference implementations.
May. 5, 2015 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 4,409
So I guess we’ve officially entered a new era of lean and mean. I say this with the announcement of Ubuntu Snappy Core, “designed for lightweight cloud container hosts running Docker and for smart devices,” according to Canonical. “Snappy Ubuntu Core is the smallest Ubuntu available, designed for security and efficiency in devices or on the cloud.” This first version of Snappy Ubuntu Core features secure app containment and Docker 1.6 (1.5 in main release), is available on public clouds, and for ARM and x86 devices on several IoT boards. It’s a Trend! This announcement comes just as...
May. 5, 2015 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,252
The security devil is always in the details of the attack: the ones you've endured, the ones you prepare yourself to fend off, and the ones that, you fear, will catch you completely unaware and defenseless. The Internet of Things (IoT) is nothing if not an endless proliferation of details. It's the vision of a world in which continuous Internet connectivity and addressability is embedded into a growing range of human artifacts, into the natural world, and even into our smartphones, appliances, and physical persons. In the IoT vision, every new "thing" - sensor, actuator, data source, data con...
May. 5, 2015 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 5,427
The WebRTC Summit 2015 New York, to be held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY, announces that its Call for Papers is open. Topics include all aspects of improving IT delivery by eliminating waste through automated business models leveraging cloud technologies. WebRTC Summit is co-located with 16th International Cloud Expo, @ThingsExpo, Big Data Expo, and DevOps Summit.
May. 5, 2015 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,175
The Internet of Things is not new. Historically, smart businesses have used its basic concept of leveraging data to drive better decision making and have capitalized on those insights to realize additional revenue opportunities. So, what has changed to make the Internet of Things one of the hottest topics in tech? In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Gray, Director, Embedded and Internet of Things, discussed the underlying factors that are driving the economics of intelligent systems. Discover how hardware commoditization, the ubiquitous nature of connectivity, and the emergence of Big Data a...
May. 5, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 5,590
SYS-CON Events announced today the IoT Bootcamp – Jumpstart Your IoT Strategy, being held June 9–10, 2015, in conjunction with 16th Cloud Expo and Internet of @ThingsExpo at the Javits Center in New York City. This is your chance to jumpstart your IoT strategy. Combined with real-world scenarios and use cases, the IoT Bootcamp is not just based on presentations but includes hands-on demos and walkthroughs. We will introduce you to a variety of Do-It-Yourself IoT platforms including Arduino, Raspberry Pi, BeagleBone, Spark and Intel Edison. You will also get an overview of cloud technologies s...
May. 5, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,946
SYS-CON Media announced today that @WebRTCSummit Blog, the largest WebRTC resource in the world, has been launched. @WebRTCSummit Blog offers top articles, news stories, and blog posts from the world's well-known experts and guarantees better exposure for its authors than any other publication. @WebRTCSummit Blog can be bookmarked ▸ Here @WebRTCSummit conference site can be bookmarked ▸ Here
May. 5, 2015 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 3,453
Scott Jenson leads a project called The Physical Web within the Chrome team at Google. Project members are working to take the scalability and openness of the web and use it to talk to the exponentially exploding range of smart devices. Nearly every company today working on the IoT comes up with the same basic solution: use my server and you'll be fine. But if we really believe there will be trillions of these devices, that just can't scale. We need a system that is open a scalable and by using the URL as a basic building block, we open this up and get the same resilience that the web enjoys.
May. 5, 2015 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 5,954
In his session at WebRTC Summit, Peter Dunkley, Technical Director at Acision, will look at creating interactive communications via the web by adding messaging, file transfer, and group communication (group chat and audio/video conferencing) into the web experience. He will also discuss potential applications of this technology in areas including B2B, B2C, P2P, and gaming. Peter Dunkley is Technical Director at Acision. He graduated from The University of Edinburgh in 2000 with a BSc (Hons) in Computer Science. After graduation Peter worked on a PSTN switch developing signalling stacks for SS...
May. 5, 2015 09:39 AM EDT Reads: 512
It's time to put the "Thing" back in IoT. Whether it’s drones, robots, self-driving cars, ... There are multiple incredible examples of the power of IoT nowadays that are shadowed by announcements of yet another twist on statistics, databases, .... Sorry, I meant, Big Data(TM), tiered storage(TM), complex systems(TM), smart nations(TM), .... In his session at WebRTC Summit, Dr Alex Gouaillard, CTO and Co-Founder of Temasys, will discuss the concrete, cool, examples of IoT already happening today, and how mixing all those different sources of visual and audio input can make your life happier ...
May. 5, 2015 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 650
What exactly is a cognitive application? In her session at 16th Cloud Expo, Ashley Hathaway, Product Manager at IBM Watson, will look at the services being offered by the IBM Watson Developer Cloud and what that means for developers and Big Data. She'll explore how IBM Watson and its partnerships will continue to grow and help define what it means to be a cognitive service, as well as take a look at the offerings on Bluemix. She will also check out how Watson and the Alchemy API team up to offer disruptive APIs to developers.
May. 5, 2015 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,234