|By PR Newswire||
|September 2, 2014 10:27 AM EDT||
NEW YORK, Sept. 2, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- By 2015, experts predict half of all software providers will deliver their applications as Software-as-a-Service (SaaS). In fact, SaaS is expected to represent three-fourths of all spending on public cloud services in 2015, making the idea of SaaS delivery models top of mind for software providers. Those not yet embracing a SaaS delivery model may already be feeling significant competitive pressure knowing that customers want choices in the way they consume their software. For software providers wondering whether a SaaS model is right for them, Logicalis US, an international IT solutions and managed services provider (www.us.logicalis.com), has outlined seven of the most important reasons that adopting a SaaS delivery strategy makes good business and financial sense for software providers.
"Software providers are positioned along a continuum somewhere between traditional software on the far left, where the software provider develops the application and supports it for customers who deploy, manage and consume it any way they like, and at the far right, those who embrace SaaS in a way that transforms them from a provider of a product to a service provider similar to Salesforce.com, for example," says Ryan McNees, Solution Provider Practice Leader, Logicalis US.
Seven Reasons SaaS Makes Good Business Sense
Most software providers find themselves somewhere in the middle of the spectrum today, but as they naturally move toward the right they will need to leverage and embrace the cloud and a SaaS strategy to get to a true SaaS business model. Here are seven reasons this makes sense for software providers according to Logicalis US experts:
- Shortened Implementation Times: By standardizing the implementation of a software solution, SaaS reduces the solution's implementation time. When implementing a software program on-premise, the technical environment varies with each customer, causing the software provider to inherit and resolve the unique implementation problems of each customer. With a cloud deployment, the environment is standardized; implementation is the same time after time. Automation and orchestration technologies can also be leveraged to further streamline implementations, driving down time to consumption, and increasing customer satisfaction. By shortening implementation times, products can also be brought to market faster and more cost-effectively than they can with more traditional go-to-market strategies.
- Marketing to New Customers: In a traditional software delivery model, the customer buys the hardware, implements it on premise, then deploys the software. Someone has to be responsible for that environment which adds cost and complexity that many customers would prefer to avoid. Consuming software as a service is simpler and offers a different financial model; instead of a large capital expenditure to buy dedicated hardware, the consumer can package its purchase as a monthly fee that fits into its operational budget. Therefore, as software providers adopt a SaaS delivery model, they're able to reach a wider base of customers, particularly those who want to trade IT CAPEX for OPEX.
- Capturing New Revenue Streams: In more traditional software delivery models, providers sell software and maintenance as a package, charging a large one-time payment. With a SaaS model, the larger single payment may be divided into a monthly annuity stream that continues at a steady, ongoing rate. By also including infrastructure services in the initial sale, software providers are able to make money on a larger piece of the overall IT landscape. The customer has to run the software they purchase on something; why not sell them cloud access on a recurring monthly basis and earn that additional revenue long term?
- Reducing Risk: Risk mitigation is one of the most important factors in a business' success. By selecting an experienced cloud partner with a proven track record in SaaS delivery rather than trying to build a hosting infrastructure in house, the software provider can avoid a lengthy, multi-year learning curve where mistakes in hosting the software will inevitably be made. Finding and partnering with the right cloud provider can mean avoiding these costly mistakes and greatly lessening risk for the business as a whole while still allowing the provider to capitalize on the annuity stream and market to customers who don't want to buy on-premise hardware themselves.
- Being Flexible: Offer Hosted, Managed Appliance and SaaS Solutions: Customers want options, but providing all the options customers want is a costly endeavor. Trying to do this all alone will inevitably lead software providers to push customers toward the model they are best able to provide, a strategy which may not be in the client's best interest and could result in loss of business. Instead, create a go-to-market plan that includes hosted, managed appliance and SaaS strategies, then rely on experienced partners to seamlessly provide the pieces you aren't able to cost-effectively deliver to your clients.
- Partnering for ITSM, Change Management and Monitoring: A lot of Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) companies provide just the cloud infrastructure and nothing more. But delivering a true solution means more than just building the environment the software runs on; it also means managing and scaling that environment, supporting the customers and managing their SLAs. It takes a long time to build a successful service organization, so in many cases, savvy software providers outsource key managed services they want to provide to their customers – from the infrastructure itself to backup and disaster recovery, automation and orchestration, and even managing a help desk for the software provider itself. An experienced customer service partner, for example, will determine what the issue is when a service ticket comes in – i.e., whether it's the operating system, a database backup/restore issue, or an outage that needs to fail over. If it's software-related, they'll send the customer back to the software provider. Anything else, they'll solve it on the spot on the provider's behalf.
- Selling Security – SSAE-16, HIPAA, PCI: Customers want assurances that the solution they deploy is secure. Choosing SaaS deployment partners who can help meet the end customers' security and compliance requirements by providing a secure, audited environment and signing Business Associate Agreements (BAAs) for HIPAA, for example, will be a definite door opener with customers concerned about regulatory requirements.
Want to Learn More?
- Ready to transform your business? Visit Logicalis' software provider microsite here: http://ow.ly/AIk0f.
- Read about the Logicalis Software Provider Program and find out more about gaining a competitive advantage with a secure enterprise cloud, SaaS or managed on-site appliance program: http://ow.ly/AIjmE.
- Explore the seven critical criteria for selecting an infrastructure as a service (IaaS) partner, then read a case study about API Healthcare and how Logicalis helped it launch its Workforce Management SaaS offerings: http://ow.ly/AIkqy.
Logicalis is an international IT solutions and managed services provider with a breadth of knowledge and expertise in communications and collaboration, data center and cloud services, and managed services.
Logicalis employs nearly 3,700 people worldwide, including highly trained service specialists who design, specify, deploy and manage complex ICT infrastructures to meet the needs of almost 6,000 corporate and public sector customers. To achieve this, Logicalis maintains strong partnerships with technology leaders such as Cisco, HP, IBM, CA Technologies, EMC, NetApp, Microsoft, VMware and ServiceNow.
The Logicalis Group has annualized revenues of $1.6 billion, from operations in Europe, North America, Latin America and Asia Pacific, and is fast establishing itself as one of the leading IT and Communications solution integrators specializing in the areas of advanced technologies and services.
The Logicalis Group is a division of Datatec Limited, listed on the Johannesburg and London AIM Stock Exchanges, with revenues of over $5 billion.
For more information, visit www.us.logicalis.com.
Business and technology working as one
To learn more about Logicalis activities through a variety of social media outlets, click here.
SOURCE Logicalis US
As businesses adopt functionalities in cloud computing, it’s imperative that IT operations consistently ensure cloud systems work correctly – all of the time, and to their best capabilities. In his session at @BigDataExpo, Bernd Harzog, CEO and founder of OpsDataStore, will present an industry answer to the common question, “Are you running IT operations as efficiently and as cost effectively as you need to?” He will expound on the industry issues he frequently came up against as an analyst, and...
Mar. 24, 2017 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,874
In his General Session at 16th Cloud Expo, David Shacochis, host of The Hybrid IT Files podcast and Vice President at CenturyLink, investigated three key trends of the “gigabit economy" though the story of a Fortune 500 communications company in transformation. Narrating how multi-modal hybrid IT, service automation, and agile delivery all intersect, he will cover the role of storytelling and empathy in achieving strategic alignment between the enterprise and its information technology.
Mar. 24, 2017 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 7,241
"I think that everyone recognizes that for IoT to really realize its full potential and value that it is about creating ecosystems and marketplaces and that no single vendor is able to support what is required," explained Esmeralda Swartz, VP, Marketing Enterprise and Cloud at Ericsson, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Mar. 24, 2017 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,811
Microservices are a very exciting architectural approach that many organizations are looking to as a way to accelerate innovation. Microservices promise to allow teams to move away from monolithic "ball of mud" systems, but the reality is that, in the vast majority of organizations, different projects and technologies will continue to be developed at different speeds. How to handle the dependencies between these disparate systems with different iteration cycles? Consider the "canoncial problem" ...
Mar. 24, 2017 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 8,363
SYS-CON Events announced today that HTBase will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. HTBase (Gartner 2016 Cool Vendor) delivers a Composable IT infrastructure solution architected for agility and increased efficiency. It turns compute, storage, and fabric into fluid pools of resources that are easily composed and re-composed to meet each application’s needs. With HTBase, companies can quickly prov...
Mar. 24, 2017 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,487
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftLayer, an IBM Company, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. SoftLayer, an IBM Company, provides cloud infrastructure as a service from a growing number of data centers and network points of presence around the world. SoftLayer’s customers range from Web startups to global enterprises.
Mar. 24, 2017 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,132
Keeping pace with advancements in software delivery processes and tooling is taxing even for the most proficient organizations. Point tools, platforms, open source and the increasing adoption of private and public cloud services requires strong engineering rigor - all in the face of developer demands to use the tools of choice. As Agile has settled in as a mainstream practice, now DevOps has emerged as the next wave to improve software delivery speed and output. To make DevOps work, organization...
Mar. 24, 2017 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,219
China Unicom exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which took place at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, in November 2016. China United Network Communications Group Co. Ltd ("China Unicom") was officially established in 2009 on the basis of the merger of former China Netcom and former China Unicom. China Unicom mainly operates a full range of telecommunications services including mobile broadband (GSM, WCDMA, LTE FDD, TD-LTE), fixed-line broadband, ICT, data communica...
Mar. 24, 2017 03:30 AM EDT Reads: 3,173
SYS-CON Events announced today that CA Technologies has been named “Platinum Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place October 31-November 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. CA Technologies helps customers succeed in a future where every business – from apparel to energy – is being rewritten by software. From ...
Mar. 24, 2017 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,253
SYS-CON Events announced today that MobiDev, a client-oriented software development company, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place October 31-November 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MobiDev is a software company that develops and delivers turn-key mobile apps, websites, web services, and complex softw...
Mar. 24, 2017 01:30 AM EDT Reads: 3,498
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cloud Academy will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Cloud Academy is the industry’s most innovative, vendor-neutral cloud technology training platform. Cloud Academy provides continuous learning solutions for individuals and enterprise teams for Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Platform, and the most popular cloud computing technologies. Ge...
Mar. 23, 2017 11:30 PM EDT Reads: 4,366
SYS-CON Events announced today that Loom Systems will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Founded in 2015, Loom Systems delivers an advanced AI solution to predict and prevent problems in the digital business. Loom stands alone in the industry as an AI analysis platform requiring no prior math knowledge from operators, leveraging the existing staff to succeed in the digital era. With offices in S...
Mar. 23, 2017 11:30 PM EDT Reads: 751
"My role is working with customers, helping them go through this digital transformation. I spend a lot of time talking to banks, big industries, manufacturers working through how they are integrating and transforming their IT platforms and moving them forward," explained William Morrish, General Manager Product Sales at Interoute, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Mar. 23, 2017 10:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,286
With billions of sensors deployed worldwide, the amount of machine-generated data will soon exceed what our networks can handle. But consumers and businesses will expect seamless experiences and real-time responsiveness. What does this mean for IoT devices and the infrastructure that supports them? More of the data will need to be handled at - or closer to - the devices themselves.
Mar. 23, 2017 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 4,311
DevOps is often described as a combination of technology and culture. Without both, DevOps isn't complete. However, applying the culture to outdated technology is a recipe for disaster; as response times grow and connections between teams are delayed by technology, the culture will die. A Nutanix Enterprise Cloud has many benefits that provide the needed base for a true DevOps paradigm.
Mar. 23, 2017 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,364
My team embarked on building a data lake for our sales and marketing data to better understand customer journeys. This required building a hybrid data pipeline to connect our cloud CRM with the new Hadoop Data Lake. One challenge is that IT was not in a position to provide support until we proved value and marketing did not have the experience, so we embarked on the journey ourselves within the product marketing team for our line of business within Progress. In his session at @BigDataExpo, Sum...
Mar. 23, 2017 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,495
The taxi industry never saw Uber coming. Startups are a threat to incumbents like never before, and a major enabler for startups is that they are instantly “cloud ready.” If innovation moves at the pace of IT, then your company is in trouble. Why? Because your data center will not keep up with frenetic pace AWS, Microsoft and Google are rolling out new capabilities In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Don Browning, VP of Cloud Architecture at Turner, will posit that disruption is inevitable for c...
Mar. 23, 2017 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,800
SYS-CON Events announced today that Telecom Reseller has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 6–8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Telecom Reseller reports on Unified Communications, UCaaS, BPaaS for enterprise and SMBs. They report extensively on both customer premises based solutions such as IP-PBX as well as cloud based and hosted platforms.
Mar. 23, 2017 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,734
SYS-CON Events announced today that Ocean9will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Ocean9 provides cloud services for Backup, Disaster Recovery (DRaaS) and instant Innovation, and redefines enterprise infrastructure with its cloud native subscription offerings for mission critical SAP workloads.
Mar. 23, 2017 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,636
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cloudistics, an on-premises cloud computing company, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Cloudistics delivers a complete public cloud experience with composable on-premises infrastructures to medium and large enterprises. Its software-defined technology natively converges network, storage, compute, virtualization, and management into a ...
Mar. 23, 2017 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,499